New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Did I just screw up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
cjsplc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I just screw up?

A buddy and I decided to get into brewing because we like the idea of a premium and lower cost drink. After reading several different styles, we went to the homebrew store, bought 5 airlocks, a hydrometer, yeast, etc. We then proceeded to go to the grocery store, purchased 5 gallons of pasteurized cider (without preservatives), and brought it all home.

After hydrating the yeast and getting it all ready, we poured the yeast in and shook everything up. It was only then that we realized that the cider was fresh out of the refrigerator at the grocery store (d'oh). Did we just cold crash our cider without even starting it?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4526 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You are fine.

It'll warm up.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
gilrain
Recipes 

I've generally found that the seasonal, delicious, fresh-pressed cider available in the refrigerated sections of grocery stores this time of year almost always contain preservatives. You probably already checked for that, but just in case: your fermentation will stick pretty quickly if there are any preservatives aside from acids.

Although it doesn't feel as "pure," if you're buying from a grocery store, your best bet is probably a pasteurized but preservative-free, not-from-concentrate cider/apple juice from the regular, non-refrigerated juice shelves. I use Musselman's, for store cider, and it seems to have a decent reputation.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
cjsplc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilrain View Post
I've generally found that the seasonal, delicious, fresh-pressed cider available in the refrigerated sections of grocery stores this time of year almost always contain preservatives. You probably already checked for that, but just in case: your fermentation will stick pretty quickly if there are any preservatives aside from acids.

Although it doesn't feel as "pure," if you're buying from a grocery store, your best bet is probably a pasteurized but preservative-free, not-from-concentrate cider/apple juice from the regular, non-refrigerated juice shelves. I use Musselman's, for store cider, and it seems to have a decent reputation.
Yeah, we went to Jungle Jims in Fairfield. I forget the name of the cider, but it said "No preservatives added" and the ingredients said "Apple Cider" and that's it. I suppose we are safe there.

My other question is that our starting SG was 1.050. My understanding is that the most we could get out of this is ~5%, right?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
gilrain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsplc View Post
My other question is that our starting SG was 1.050. My understanding is that the most we could get out of this is ~5%, right?
Ah, glad to hear about the lack of preservatives. Your final ABV will depend on when you decide to crash. If you take it to dry, at about 1.000, your ABV would be about: 1.050 - 1.000 = 0.050 * 131 = 6.55% ABV. Just subtract FG from OG and multiply by 131, basically.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
gilrain
Recipes 

I should add that your SG reading is affected by temperature. if you took the reading while the juice was still cold, it'll need to be adjusted. Your hydrometer probably came with a scale to adjust its reading for temperature.

Last edited by gilrain; 10-29-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
cjsplc
Recipes 

Quote:
I should add that your SG reading is affected by temperature. if you took the reading while the juice was still cold, it'll need to be adjusted. Your hydrometer probably came with a scale to adjust its reading for temperature.
Yeah, we figured that it was probably about 45 degrees. With the scale it was something like 1.047 I believe. Which do you prefer... dry or sweet?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
gilrain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsplc View Post
Yeah, we figured that it was probably about 45 degrees. With the scale it was something like 1.047 I believe. Which do you prefer... dry or sweet?
Well, I actually don't know yet! I'm new to the hobby myself, although I tend to research things to death before diving in... and then there's always more to learn. I have my first two, six-gallon batches in primary, right now, and will be setting up two single-gallon experiments tomorrow evening. The first of many, no doubt!

Based on my taste in other beverages, though, I expect to prefer a just off-dry cider. My first primary is a simple affair of juice, a little sugar, and Safale S-04. I intend to crash it at 1.010, or slightly above. I've been pretty swayed by CvilleKevin's extensive research.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
cjsplc
Recipes 

Quote:
Well, I actually don't know yet! I'm new to the hobby myself, although I tend to research things to death before diving in... and then there's always more to learn. I have my first two, six-gallon batches in primary, right now, and will be setting up two single-gallon experiments tomorrow evening. The first of many, no doubt!

Based on my taste in other beverages, though, I expect to prefer a just off-dry cider. My first primary is a simple affair of juice, a little sugar, and Safale S-04. I intend to crash it at 1.010, or slightly above. I've been pretty swayed by CvilleKevin's extensive research.
Alright, sounds good. I just spoke to my friend and he said that the yeast looks like it didn't take. . So tomorrow we're going to get some more yeast and start a second batch... we'll see how it goes.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

when did you pitch? exactly what yeast did you pitch? my first cider took 36 hours to start. I used nottingham with that batch, s-04, all I've used since (I like the taste better) seems to start a little faster. also, what temp is she at right now? these are all questions which will help anyone here help you.

Quick Reply