Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Did I completely screw up???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
skidaddytn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm guessing he meant pumping the liquid "out of the carboy"... its probably too late in the evening to get one, but if you replace the airlock with a rubber bung with a drilled hole... you could then put some plastic tubing in that hole and run it into a bucket of water with a small amount of bleach... then just let it eject whatever blowoff you have... many of us don't even use airlocks... i always opt for blowoff tube, even if theres not going to be a blowoff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #12
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaddytn View Post
I'm guessing he meant pumping the liquid "out of the carboy"... its probably too late in the evening to get one, but if you replace the airlock with a rubber bung with a drilled hole... you could then put some plastic tubing in that hole and run it into a bucket of water with a small amount of bleach... then just let it eject whatever blowoff you have... many of us don't even use airlocks... i always opt for blowoff tube, even if theres not going to be a blowoff
DO NOT use bleach in the solution you place the blow off tube into. If you get suck back you will have a bleach solution in your fermenter and that is BAD.

Do not do this.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #13
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaddytn View Post
I'm guessing he meant pumping the liquid "out of the carboy"...
Hmmmmm. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDERGROUNDMINER View Post
Also, why do my airlocks keep pumping the liquid into the carboy?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 12-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
UNDERGROUNDMINER
Recipes 

I guess a more appropriate term would be "sucking", as they can't pump anything. It's like I am getting vacuum in the carboy. but it seems to have stabilized since last night.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My suggestion:

Quit messing with it and leave it alone! Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work. Also, I doubt the cidery quality you can get from too much cane sugar is going to be detrimental to your cider.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Nossie Likes This 
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

I'm new as well but I had all these exact same questions about three weeks ago... And the same experiences you're having right now! If you're carboy is really really full you will get overflowing, I needed to rig a blow off and didn't so I just let it go and made sure I had vodka in my airlocks in case of suck back... (so as not to contaminate)
Also, everybody told me the same thing that the last guy told you, just leave it alone... Let the yeast do it's thing...
I just got my first hydrometer and have not taken a reading yet but from what I hear it's really a necessary tool... I am doing apples and not pears and they're telling me the optimum temperature is 70 (60 to 80), so, put some vodka in your airlock or starsan I guess... I just don't want weird chemicals in my stuff EVEN if it saids it's ok, but hell, I'm a newbie, get a blow off system for next time, get your hydrometer, and just let it do its thing for a couple weeks & RHAHB. (did I say this right brewers?)

P.S.
Keep in mined ... just trying to help with what I learned so far...

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
skidaddytn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will have to admit, I've never knowingly had suckback.. if you run a blow off tube down to a water reservoir 1 ft lower than your fermentation liquid surface, i bet it would take a large temperature change to make this happen... if i get bored tomorrow I might try to calculate it :-) normally I have only experienced positive pressure coming out of the fermentation vessel...

Quick Reply