Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Defining Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Defining Cider

As far as I know the only real cider is made from apples. I know they sell peach cider or cherry cider, if its unfermented its just peach or cherry juice, not really cider, its just a marketing ploy to get people to buy it, cider sounds so much tastier than just plain old juice. I have seen people post about making a ginger cider that has only ginger root juice, that is not a cider, its a wine, and posts about other fruits that are not apples but mistakenly calling them cider, again more appropriate for the wine forum. As this is a cider forum maybe we can help some of these posters go over to the winemaking section where these posts belong and not continue to cloud up what cider really is? WVMJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
phug
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like seeing them here if they're blends, or even if they're not blends but lower abv that your typical wine

Old 04-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I agree.

"Cider" has a meaning. There is no such thing as a pear cider- that's a perry. Other mixed berry fermented drinks are wines in my book!

Old 04-05-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
Asgard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm clearly in the minority here. Look it up: Cider is crushed fruit juice. Hard Cider is fermented crushed fruit juice. That seems like it should include wine but that's such a big group its treated separately. And the great thing about hard cider is that you can replace apple juice with basically any other juice and it works. All the nice tricks are the same. Why limit yourself just to apples?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
thaymond
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts

But... What about apfelwein? Wine or cider? Is it wine because of the yeast (Edworts is Montrachet, I've use ec1118, cote de blanc, and I Montrachet...) or a cider because of the apple juice. I just made a batch from all natural apple cider juices, but with champagne yeast boosting the abv over 10%. Wine? Cider?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #6
Asgard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In the end, isn't it most relevant what YOU think it is? Not to mention the process to make it? If it's a wine process and the result seems like wine to you, that would be wine. If it's a cider process and the result seems like cider to you.....

Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
thaymond
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
In the end, isn't it most relevant what YOU think it is? Not to mention the process to make it? If it's a wine process and the result seems like wine to you, that would be wine. If it's a cider process and the result seems like cider to you.....
True. The net result is still something that I get to share with others. Regardless of the name or classification.

Pouring juice frome a bottle is far less "romantic" than crushing grapes with your feet to make the juice. Thus is the reason that I got into (and surely others) all grain brewing after extract. I became far more interested in brewing once I made that jump.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
MoonDawg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't researched the proper definition of the word cider. BUT, as a brewer which makes Hard Cider exclusively, this is my opinion; Hard cider is the fermented juice of APPLES which is fermented to 5-10% ABV, is lightly carbonated, and is served in a 12 oz to 750 cc bottle. This is ONLY my opinion, and is worth nothing more or less.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Asgard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've made a lot of hard cider. Mostly with apples, almost exclusively kegged (why bottle when you can keg???) but the ones I've had the most FUN with are when I ditch the apples and use other juices. But since I'm making it using all my cider stuff and it seems most similar to a cider to the pallet, I call it cider. And I think Webster is with me on this one, which doesn't hurt

Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
dallas996
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It almost comes down to the process rather than a hard definition based in apple juice. It seems that a good portion of us are looking at a product that is in "beer" to "big beer" alcohol content ranges (4 - 12% abv), but using fruit to achieve a beverage with flavors we want/like. A good many of us are working in cysers, graffs, etc- which are just extensions of the cider making process. If we were to get too stringently granular on our definitions, it might make it that much harder to find the answers we are looking for and possibly limit our exposure to other variations. -Just a thought.

Primary: Dry
Secondary: Big Head Cider
Kegged: DRY!! Augh!
Bottled:
Big Head Apple Licker(AJ)

Quick Reply