Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Crystal Clear or Murkey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
salzar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Crystal Clear or Murkey?

Just stoping in to comment about how damn long its taking for my apfelwein is taking ferment. It is using 6 lb of honey,4.5gal of walmart juice(treetop?), and a WL heffe yeast. It started on 1/21 along with another batch to EdWort description. The standard batch finished clear, and is nearly drank, but as of today even after 2 months in a secondary, the heffe apfelwein is still translucent.

Should I bottle now or just keep waiting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hefe yeast isn't supposed to clear(it's a trait of that yeast), so go ahead and bottle, you'd need a lot of cold conditioning to get that clear.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

z987k is most likely right, since he is far more experienced then I, but I think another part of it is the honey. Meads and melomels, and cysers take longer to ferment then most other brews. This is true both for the actually fermentation and for the clearing. I say leave it in the for another month, just try to forget about it. If you are able, either you start to see it clearing and you can wait it out till its down, or worst case scenario is that you just bulk aged your brew another month, which would only improve the flavor.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The above answers are both correct. In fact, I have a regular Cider that I let ferment naturally that is not clear. It was started in October. About every month, the clarity moves down a few inches in the Carboy.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
The above answers are both correct. In fact, I have a regular Cider that I let ferment naturally that is not clear. It was started in October. About every month, the clarity moves down a few inches in the Carboy.
I want to eat your avatar!!!!!

Quick Reply