Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > created a new recipe today "creamy oat and caramel apple cider"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #31
Daze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

cracked one open last night. It was really good, very "creamy" nice apple flavor, but still young. This cider was tart which is what I wanted, but I wish I had used malic acid alone instead of acid blend, there was in my mind to much of a citrus note. Other than that I was very pleased. Should get way better with age. If I was ranking it on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best cider I ever had, I would give it a 6 right now and I am guessing an 8 when it has aged. The reason I am guessing an 8 once it ages is because it will still loose a point for the acid blend instead of malic acid AND loose a point for using juice from concentrate rather then fresh pressed apple juice. The recipe has the potential to be out of this world give a few ingredient changes.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Glad to hear it turned out good.
I am bottling my first caramel batch (280deg.) tonight.
Picking up 10 gallons of fresh pressed tomorrow to start up a batch of graff and another batch of caramel (320deg. this time.)
I think I'll grab another gallon to do a test batch with your oat milk. I'm using the Lalvin 71B-1122.

I forgot to ask you, when you made your caramel syrup what temperature did you take that sugar up to?
Looks real dark, 360-370?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 922 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 2518

Daze: Ever thought of toasting those oats, or using oat malt? Maybe adding oats (toasted or not) in in a hopsack to get more oat flavour? Just a couple of thoughts on a rainy day.
Regards, GF.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #34
Daze
Recipes 

That is what I used. I toasted the oats but I still can not taste them... but that is a good thing I really don't like the taste of oats

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #35
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Any reason why you couldn't do a cereal mash with the toasted oats and apple juice?

I was considering throwing a few pounds of toasted oats, some brown sugar and about 5 gallons of Apple Juice in the mash tun and let'n the RIMs system hold it at about 125 for an hour or so.

Thoughts?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #36
Daze
Recipes 

I was thinking of doing something similar but just doing it in a pot on the stove. Will see on the next batch.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #37
dr_al
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Interesting; think I'd get the same, or at least very similar result by using flaked oats instead of the oat milk?
Regards, GF.
have you started this version? how is it going?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #38
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll whip up a batch too, sounds tasty.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #39
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 922 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 2518

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_al View Post
have you started this version? how is it going?
Yes, brewed up a version last weekend & it's been fermenting at a steady 62* F. I think this is going to be a smooth, silky brew.
Thanks to Daze for sharing his recipe.
Regards, GF.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #40
Daze
Recipes 

The important thing to remember is it has to bee cooked to get the silky texture. just adding oats to the brew with out heat will simply cause them to soak up some of your appley goodness. I am actually going to be doing an experiment with oat flower that I made in the blender. I think it will allow me to get a creamier result with less oats and less sediment. Will report back after I try it.

Quick Reply