Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > created a new recipe today "creamy oat and caramel apple cider"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #21
matrim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks! I have my batch fermenting away and it looks great. Do you have any suggestions based off of how yours is turning out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

not really. Mine is almost done but is still just bubbling along. It is fairly cold in my basement so all of my wines and ciders are simply crawling along at a snails pace. As soon as it begins to clear (could be any day now) I will back-sweeten/prime and bottle.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
Daze
Recipes 

BOTTLED TODAY!!!!!!

The cider is very tart but is as I expected. I added 2 cups of my caramel syrup which makes the cider about 2/3 as sweet as apple juice before it is fermented. I know a lot of you like your cider only slightly sweet but because of all the tartness I needed the extra sugar. Even young, it tastes fantastic!!!!!!! You get the tartness, much like a green or mac apple, you get the sweet caramel playing off that tartness and the best part is the creamy texture from the oats. I new the oats would add body and give a much better mouth feel but I never expected something this rich, luxurious, and smooth. This cider has as much, if not more body and creamy mouth feel than a dark beer. I could not be happier with the result!!!

The caramel also added lots of color. Rather than the cider being a pail amber it is now a rich golden brown. Basically it is the color that the apple juice started with before the yeast stripped out some of the color.

I am also really glad I used 4 cans of concentrate rather than the 2.5 cans required to make 1 gallon of juice. This gave me lots of extra apple flavor as well as an ABV of about 7.5 without having to add any pure sugar.

The cider is bottle carbonating right now and in a few days I will pasteurize and then give it at least a month to age. I can only imagine how much better this cider is going to get once it is carbonated and aged.

- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #24
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

This recipe is on my next to do list. Still letting the emu cider age a bit but getting the twitch to bottle and drink now that the weather is turning warmer. Just need to find some fresh pressed juice to work with now... And a spare carboy.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #25
matrim
Recipes 

Awesome! Very exciting to hear as mine is close to the end of fermentation. Thanks for the updates.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 2111

Interesting; think I'd get the same, or at least very similar result by using flaked oats instead of the oat milk?
Regards, GF.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #27
Daze
Recipes 

probably, flaked oats is how I made the oat milk

Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #28
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 2111

Then I shall brew up a version of this on Saturday. Thanks for sharing yourprogress/recipes/outcome on this. Next time I'm in Kalispell, I'l buy you a beer.
Regards, GF.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #29
Daze
Recipes 

It only took 10 days to get this brew to carbonate up. I am not surprised as the yeast was Montrachet and I had the bottles sitting in a case on the floor in my basement. That Montrachet yeast does not like the cold. With the CO2 levels where I wanted them I pasteurized yesterday and will now let the cider age at least a couple of weeks before cracking one open. Will report back with pix in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
fannypack
Recipes 

subbed. very curious about the turn out.. sounds like a fantastic start!

Quick Reply