Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Crab-apple Cider by a new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #31
HokieBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
OK- thought I would update on how this coming out . . .

So I put a cinnimon stick in the secondary hoping that it could result in something good. Actually, it's not a "real" cinnimon stick - I read somewhere that those sticks that are rolled up aren't really true cinnimon, but a very close second. Anyhow, I dropped that in the secondary and it's been sitting there for the past 12 days.

How long should I still see airlock activity? when I transferred to the secondary the gravity was 1.01 while the SG was ~1.05. The air lock bubbles once every two minutes.

The taste is pretty good- there is a strong dry apple flavor with cinnamon on the finish with a slight carbonation. From what I've been reading here, I'd say it's sweeter than what a lot of other people make, but I like apple cider to be sweet.

Thanks to everybody for their inputs an help! I'll try an let this go for a few more months in the secondary but if I keep testing this - there won't be much left to bottle!
It's sweet because it hasn't finished fermenting. The sweetness will go away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #32
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
So I put a cinnimon stick in the secondary hoping that it could result in something good. Actually, it's not a "real" cinnimon stick - I read somewhere that those sticks that are rolled up aren't really true cinnimon, but a very close second.
You probably added cassia which is marketed as cinnamon in the US. Cassia is rolled to about the diameter of a pencil. Real cinnamon is rolled to the diameter of the pencil you used in kindergarten.

Retired at the Jersey Shore.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #33
ajk170
Recipes 

Default Clarity?

Ok- new question - I've seen a lot of talk about how clear a cider will get but mine isn't exactly "clear" - not like I can see through it but I think it maybe because of all the cranberry jiuce that I added initially. So you could say mine has this nice red ale look about it. But I sorta though I should still be able to see the other side despite the red color. It still seems murky yet the air lock has almost no activity. But I should say that the it's ~ 3.5 gallons of cider in a 6.5 gallon Better Bottle- so maybe the small volume of cider just can't show a real active air lock. But theier is no movement in the cider either- not like when I forst racked to the secondary- very active movement even 48 hours after racking.

So is this nice red, yet murky, clarity consistant with using a cranberry juice of should it get clear just like cranberry juice does in the bottle from the store?

Thanks for all the advice - I couldn't have come this far without all of everyone's help and advice!

Cheers!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #34
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Ok- new question - I've seen a lot of talk about how clear a cider will get but mine isn't exactly "clear" - not like I can see through it but I think it maybe because of all the cranberry jiuce that I added initially. So you could say mine has this nice red ale look about it. But I sorta though I should still be able to see the other side despite the red color. It still seems murky yet the air lock has almost no activity. But I should say that the it's ~ 3.5 gallons of cider in a 6.5 gallon Better Bottle- so maybe the small volume of cider just can't show a real active air lock. But theier is no movement in the cider either- not like when I forst racked to the secondary- very active movement even 48 hours after racking.

So is this nice red, yet murky, clarity consistant with using a cranberry juice of should it get clear just like cranberry juice does in the bottle from the store?

Thanks for all the advice - I couldn't have come this far without all of everyone's help and advice!

Cheers!
It should clear, but it needs some time to sit still and drop the sediment. It'll start clearing from the top, and work it's way to the bottom. Racking stirs things up, so it'll take a while after it's been racked.

I can see through my cider- clear as a bell. Clear like apple juice. Clear like white wine. It will usually clear on its own, given enough time.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #35
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Dumb question, if I used a Hefe yeast, will it clear all the way?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #36
ajk170
Recipes 

Default Yeast strains and Red Juices messing with Clarity?

That's an interesting thought - since I'm new to the brewing, I'm not familiuar as others on the board with the various yeast strains- I didn't use a Hefe, I used Coopers Dry Yeast. But my cider doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing. Of course, I just racked to the secondary on 21 SEP and then moved it around on the 29th to sample (again). I kinda expected some sort of clearing at the top like what Yoop said- but nothing yet.

Anybody else have thought on a what various yeasts do to clarity? My thought is it won't clear like you think it should if you use a hefe strain - not sure what the taste would yield either- but it might be good!

There's probably a thread on this exact thought already- maybe a search will find some various opinions on a hefe yeast and cider!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #37
ajk170
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
It should clear, but it needs some time to sit still and drop the sediment. It'll start clearing from the top, and work it's way to the bottom. Racking stirs things up, so it'll take a while after it's been racked.

I can see through my cider- clear as a bell. Clear like apple juice. Clear like white wine. It will usually clear on its own, given enough time.
Thanks again Yoop- I was thinking that it should become clear despite the color and having moved it around over the past week probably stirred it up.

Now I realize that I have to rack this (again) to another fermentor because I need the space to start another batch of beer this weekend (not a bad problem to have!)

Any thoughts on racking to a tertiary fermentor? I'm thinkning that the only thing that will do is take out yeast, aerate the cider (possibly a bad thing), and stir up the cider (thus messing with the clarity).

Aside of all that, any thoughts on potential problems and why we wouldn't want to move to a third fermentor?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #38
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Thanks again Yoop- I was thinking that it should become clear despite the color and having moved it around over the past week probably stirred it up.

Now I realize that I have to rack this (again) to another fermentor because I need the space to start another batch of beer this weekend (not a bad problem to have!)

Any thoughts on racking to a tertiary fermentor? I'm thinkning that the only thing that will do is take out yeast, aerate the cider (possibly a bad thing), and stir up the cider (thus messing with the clarity).

Aside of all that, any thoughts on potential problems and why we wouldn't want to move to a third fermentor?
Well, I rack all of my wines and ciders when they have lees- so the racking isn't an issue. What I would do though is crush 1 campden tablet per gallon, dissolve that in a little hot water and add to the new carboy, and rack the cider into the sulfite. That will prevent any aeration.

Racking again before it's clear will probably delay clearing, but that's probably just fine.

The last thing to consider is that if the cider just will not clear, you can always add finings. I hesitate to use them, because I think that in addition to stripping yeast and sediment from the cider, I think it may strip some of the flavor as well. I've used sparkelloid with good results in my dandelion wine, though.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #39
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ciders pretty much all will drop clear. Some don't, but there were reasons for it, it start out cloudy, there were problems with pectic haze etc. But if you let it sit long enough, almost any cider will drop clear. And you really shouldn't worry about it not clearing, if it hasn't cleared for a month after fermentation is complete. You might as well let it sit, because all of your brews will benefit from aging.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #40
ajk170
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, I rack all of my wines and ciders when they have lees- so the racking isn't an issue. What I would do though is crush 1 campden tablet per gallon, dissolve that in a little hot water and add to the new carboy, and rack the cider into the sulfite. That will prevent any aeration.

Racking again before it's clear will probably delay clearing, but that's probably just fine.

The last thing to consider is that if the cider just will not clear, you can always add finings. I hesitate to use them, because I think that in addition to stripping yeast and sediment from the cider, I think it may strip some of the flavor as well. I've used sparkelloid with good results in my dandelion wine, though.

Ok- I've read alot about the campden tablets but the last time I was in my LHBS they talked me into Potassium Sorbate and potassium metabisulfite. They said use both to stabilize a cider - so not knowing better, I bought the two and now they sit in the brew room-

Any thoughts on a tried-and-true way to proceed with these- I had an impression that I should just use one of these- but that maybe wrong. If campden is the way to go- then that's what I'll do!

As always, a big thanks!

Cheers!

Quick Reply