Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Crab-apple Cider by a new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 AM   #21
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

As this is your first, I would shy away from using spices. But I would definitely recommend you fill up that fermenter. Add enough juice to pretty much fill it up, then add concentrate to raise it to your desired SG. Or just add the juice and with the cans you already added, you will probably be somewhere around 6 or 7%.

As far as bottles, well I would say hold off bottling as long as you can, because the longer you wait the better this stuff will be. I started brewing ciders in the fall and wanted to get something ready for Christmas, it was a bad idea. Not that you can't get something good in just a couple months, but you can get something amazing with 6+ (even years). Also, the longer you wait the longer you have to drink and get your friends to drink, so you have enough bottles when you are ready.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #22
ajk170
Recipes 

Ok- so I am reading the posts about using the concentrate as my priming agent and I am thinking that this might give me what I want without adding a non-fermentable. I too like bubbly cider but I want it sweet and wet.
Anybody have good experiances with that?

Also, I am wondering what the consequnce of racking too early to a secondary? Is there any problems down the road?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #23
Tusch
Recipes 

I would not worry about racking to early to secondary, I would wait until at last 1.02, but after that you fine to rack. I usually end up racking long after that.

If you want sparkling sweet cider, you only have two options.
Stabilizing, backsweetening and kegging OR
Backsweetening with nonfermentable sugars (Splenda, Lactose) and bottle carbonating.

You can not do it any other way. Using concentrate for priming has been send to leave more apple flavor, but it will not leave any more sweetness.

And wet isn't really a characteristic of brewing, you've got dry, semi dry, semi sweet, and sweet pretty much. It doesn't go from dry to wet haha

Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #24
ajk170
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
I would not worry about racking to early to secondary, I would wait until at last 1.02, but after that you fine to rack. I usually end up racking long after that.

If you want sparkling sweet cider, you only have two options.
Stabilizing, backsweetening and kegging OR
Backsweetening with nonfermentable sugars (Splenda, Lactose) and bottle carbonating.

You can not do it any other way. Using concentrate for priming has been send to leave more apple flavor, but it will not leave any more sweetness.

And wet isn't really a characteristic of brewing, you've got dry, semi dry, semi sweet, and sweet pretty much. It doesn't go from dry to wet haha
Ok- so now I know! I always feel thirsty after I drink a woodchuck so I guess that's really dry- so I think after I dring a really good German Auslese wine that I feel like it was "wet" and I could taste it- thus that must be sweet! That is what got me on the quest for a cider that is bubbly, sweet, and makes me feel like I drank something!

So, ok, I am going to give it till the end of Sep and then check the gravity- if it's above 1.02 I'll let it go longer and then bottle. I'm getting ready to start my second batch that I think I'll start this year and try and let it go through the winter in the primary and rack in spring to secondary and then bottle for next season. But I'm looking at the caramal apple idea as well- that sounds really good to me.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #25
Tusch
Recipes 

Woodchuck is quite sweet.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:15 AM   #26
ajk170
Recipes 

WOW! DO I have a lot to learn! Here is thought it was dry and need sugar! I guess I have no idea what dry in a cider is suppose to be! Here is thought I would make something that is a little sweeter and maybe a little tangy with the cranberry but pack a kick!

So when I rack to teh secondary, I will taste to see where the flavor is at and try to see what needs to be done!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #27
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to the homebrew experiance- I've made a Honey Blonde and Miabock over the past two months and now what to make a better cider than what I can buy. What I want to end up with is something that is carbonated, has a kick, is wet, and semi-sweet. But I do not have the patience to wait till next year for my first batch to condition. I'll do that when I get a reciepe/process down that I really like.

What I made last night I hope will get me something that fits the immediate bill. Here's what I used- take a look and see what everybody thinks

- 2 gal White Top pasturized cider (Wallmart) (pasturized)
- 1/2 gal Oceanspray Cranberry Juice (pasturized)
- 1# Domino Brown sugar (dissolved into ~ 1.5 quart Mountain top Spring water) - I cooled this down to ~80 degrees before adding to cider/cranberry/water mix)
- 1 quart additional Mountain Top Spring Water
- ~10 grams Coopers Ale dehydrated yeast (no specific mention on package of what type) that I reconsitutued prior to pitching.

As of this morning I had bubbles, so that was exciting! I tried to be thorough on the sanatize like I do for the beer, but I'm never sure if it's good enough. I use Star San on everything - maybe even longer than I should!

To help get me to what I want in a cider, I am thinking of putting 1 can apple juice concintrate and 1-2 cinnimon sticks and some corriander in on the secondary and let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks. Lastly, I am thinking that I could use plain DME to bottle rather than dextrose. Or could I use the DME in the secondary?

After reading more in these threads, I am also thinking that I may have to use some Splenda in the secondary to ensure a little sweetness and I am not sure what the DME will do to the flavor.

The last thing that I want is a wine cooler or diet soda! That's what's got me worried about the DME or Splenda.

Thanks for any input!
I'm just wondering where the crabapples come into this, I didn't see them mentioned anywhere, except for the thread title.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #28
ajk170
Recipes 

OK- thought I would update on how this coming out . . .

So I put a cinnimon stick in the secondary hoping that it could result in something good. Actually, it's not a "real" cinnimon stick - I read somewhere that those sticks that are rolled up aren't really true cinnimon, but a very close second. Anyhow, I dropped that in the secondary and it's been sitting there for the past 12 days.

How long should I still see airlock activity? when I transferred to the secondary the gravity was 1.01 while the SG was ~1.05. The air lock bubbles once every two minutes.

The taste is pretty good- there is a strong dry apple flavor with cinnamon on the finish with a slight carbonation. From what I've been reading here, I'd say it's sweeter than what a lot of other people make, but I like apple cider to be sweet.

Thanks to everybody for their inputs an help! I'll try an let this go for a few more months in the secondary but if I keep testing this - there won't be much left to bottle!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I don't know how long it'll ferment for you- it really depends on yeast health, the amount of remaining fermentables, temperature, etc. It should ferment to .996 or so. The reason it still tastes sweet is because it IS sweet at 1.010.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #30
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
Ok- so I am reading the posts about using the concentrate as my priming agent and I am thinking that this might give me what I want without adding a non-fermentable. I too like bubbly cider but I want it sweet and wet.
Anybody have good experiances with that?

Also, I am wondering what the consequnce of racking too early to a secondary? Is there any problems down the road?

Thanks!
I also like my cider bubbly and sweet. Has anyone tried bottling it before fermentation is over and letting it sit for a fewdays and then pasturizing it? I saw that in the perloux and nichols book but have not tried it. Will the heat affect the cider?

Quick Reply