Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Crab-apple Cider by a new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
lapaglia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well see I learned something today. Can I go home now?

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass, sorry if I came off that way. Just trying to share some of the knowledge I've gained in the past year, I'm a noob too!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Wasn't trying to be a smart ass, sorry if I came off that way. Just trying to share some of the knowledge I've gained in the past year, I'm a noob too!
No you were not. I really did learn that and I was glad you posted it. I was also making a joke, a bad one I guess. Sorry about that.
On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
ajk170
Recipes 

Default follow-up to the original

So I put one can of the concentrated apple juice into the primary and it seemed as though it picked up some steam on the fermentation, which is good. When I peeked into the fermentor (I use a 7.5 gal plastic fermentor) there appeared to be a nice head of krausen (sp). I was concerned that fully exposing the cider to the air might be a bad thing, thus I lifted the lid just enough to pour the juice in and sealed it back up while giving it a small swirl.

I think I am going to rack to a secondary and maybe add a cinnamon stick or something.

New question- with this much yeast (~10 grams) for just 3 gallons, should I still put another gallon of cider into the primary? I'm thinking this much yeast will either eat all the sugar available or it will continue to have an active fermentation in the secondary - or both. I'm not too concerned with high ABV for this batch so if adding more cider is the right thing to do to offset the yeast but at the expense of the ABV, then that's OK.

Lastly, is it getting to the point now that I can't add anything new to the primary fermentation? I am now 36 hours into the fermentation.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ajk170; 09-05-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4477 Times on 3258 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk170 View Post
So I put one can of the concentrated apple juice into the primary and it seemed as though it picked up some steam on the fermentation, which is good. When I peeked into the fermentor (I use a 7.5 gal plastic fermentor) there appeared to be a nice head of krausen (sp). I was concerned that fully exposing the cider to the air might be a bad thing, thus I lifted the lid just enough to pour the juice in and sealed it back up while giving it a small swirl.

I think I am going to rack to a secondary and maybe add a cinnamon stick or something.

New question- with this much yeast (~10 grams) for just 3 gallons, should I still put another gallon of cider into the primary? I'm thinking this much yeast will either eat all the sugar available or it will continue to have an active fermentation in the secondary - or both. I'm not too concerned with high ABV for this batch so if adding more cider is the right thing to do to offset the yeast but at the expense of the ABV, then that's OK.

Lastly, is it getting to the point now that I can't add anything new to the primary fermentation? I am now 36 hours into the fermentation.

Thanks again!
One package of yeast is the correct amount for one-six gallons of cider. You didn't put too much in- you put in the right amount. The yeast will only ferment as much sugar as is available. If you don't add more juice, the yeast will finish. If you add more juice, the yeast will ferment that. In theory, two yeast cells could do as much fermentation as 300 billion. There is only a set amount of fermentables. When they are gone, the yeast will flocculate and your cider will be done.

You can add new things whenever you want- there isn't a time limit on additions. If you want it to be finished in a month (which is rushing it terribly), though, you have to leave it alone and let it do its work.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
ajk170
Recipes 

Thanks YopperBrew- as you could read, I wasn't sure- I'll let her go - I hate racking to a secondary with the fermentor that I am using so maybe I'll just let that go until bottling.

Maybe I'll increase my timeline and hold out and bottle around Halloween. I could let it go and have some of it for the holidays!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

The yeast will almost definitely eat all of the sugars in your brew, ciders as I said almost always ferment to complete dryness. Also, if you want a good brew let it sit! Don't try to rush. You might want to bottle some for the holidays, but as this is your first I definitely suggest at least putting away some bottles to wait a few more months. Once you taste what just 3 or 4 more months can do, you will want to let the next brew age a lot longer before bottling.

Either way, happy brewing and happier drinking!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everybody is truly different!

If I were only a coupla days into a fermentation, and had a 7.5 gallon fermenter approximately half full, I would go ahead and add enough juice and sugar to reach the 6-7 gallon mark.

Why not double your pleasure in half the time?

But...that's just me!

Pogo

Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Haha, very true! As long as you aren't transferring it to a smaller container, might as well fill her on up!

Oh and you shouldn't have to worry about opening to the lid too far, because at this early phase, once the fermentation gets going it in so strong that it produces plenty of CO2 to blanket and protect itself.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:49 AM   #20
ajk170
Recipes 

Default Is it ever too late?

OK- so I went away for the weekend and upon my return I have found that the furious fermenting that I left as slowed. But having read a few other posts, I'm regretting not going with 7 gallons. So what we said previously is that it is really never too late to add stuff to the primary. With that said, maybe i should add another few gallons and a couple cans of consentrate. Only issue then would be in the bottling! Oh well, I guess I'll have to get more bottles!

Any thoughts on spices to add? I'll keep it posted as to what I do an techniques and tastes that result!

Quick Reply