Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A couple questions about pear cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default A couple questions about pear cider

There are a couple of trees near me that I'm going to pick in a few hours. I think I will get 30-50 lbs. I have 4 empty growlers and was thinking of splitting the batch into them, and each one try something a little different such as spices or adding other fruit juices.

I have some D47 yeast on the way. I know that this cider could turn out pretty dry, and i"m ok with that. I tasted one of these pears last night and they aren't super sweet, so I may add something to raise the gravity. How about table sugar or malt extract? Was also thinking the pH might be too high, so what is a good acid to use? Is pectic enzyme really that important?

I think I will bottle these different ciders like wine, and let it age for a while. I may carbonate 1 or 2 bottles though.

I've never made any cider, but I can't stand to see all those pears go to waste! I would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bump.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

any sugar is good, i know that sounds bad , but its true table or corn will just add punch honey ferments out all the way too so it does not add much more that alcohol ether . you can use brown or raw sugers or and some molasses they will add flavor . malt added to a cider would be like a braggot (malt mead), honey add is a cyser but you are making a perry how are you going to press them ? if the pears are bland you will want to get some "acid blend" and maybe some tannic additive .. or OAK it

Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

also gravity = time. if you go over 10% it will taste like booty for 6~8 months and then just like magic may taste supper wonderful. if you have a ton of pears i would make some 5-6% suff and some hitest stuff around 10+ to experiment on.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

These pears do taste pretty tannic on their own, but love your suggestion of using oak. I do not have any oak powder on hand, I may wait until primary is almost over to add the oak.

I'm perfectly fine if this wine takes 6 months to mature, in fact I expect that it will. I'm really looking for that dry crisp, clear taste, more like a fine white wine.

How about some apple juice concentrate to boost my gravity? I don't think the frozen stuff has potassium sorbate in it.

I am building a press with an old jack, will be using a bed sheet and bucket setup. I do not have a garbage disposal to run them through, so for this time I will use my Kitchen Aid food processor.

I am going to pick up some acid blend for sure.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Cidersupply.com sells a pectinase supposed to be just for pears to help macerate them and get more juice and clear it. I have not used it, trying to find some pears. Your D47 sounds like a good plan, I think honey would be best (beekeeper) to add body also as well as a little extra taste and sweetness. WVMJ

Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update.

I ended up picking about 40 lbs of pears, after pressing I got almost 2 gallons. The juice is darker than I thought it would be, gravity was 1.054. It tastes great by itself.

I added 1 gallon of Great Value Apple Juice to the pear juice, I've heard good things about that brand of apple juice and since this particular fermenter holds 3 gallons I went for it.

I added sugar until my gravity reached 1.092. I added acid blend until the pH was 3.62. I added about a half tsp of pectin enzyme. I added 3 campden tablets.

I plan to pitch the yeast tomorrow evening, and am still contemplating the oak.

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you test the pH of the pear juice alone?

Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Paps
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Hopefully there aren't any nasty chemicals/preservatives in the juice you added. For future refference use either "tree top" or "motts" namebrands.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Albionwood
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sounds like too much sugar to me, but will be interested to see how it turns out. Age it for at least four months after fermentation is finished.

Quick Reply