Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A couple Qs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
madhusudan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A couple Qs

First off, thanks to all the posters on this site. You have inspired me to try my hand at making cider. So far so good, I think. Fermentation began quickly, though seems to have petered out now at about 10 days in. Bubbles only come about once every 46 seconds.

I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP of this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/dete...w-o-og-206332/

Now that I've come to realize making cider is fun and is something I'll continue, I will go get myself a hydrometer - as I probably should have done upon starting. The posters in the thread above informed me that while I won't be able to find the alcohol content, at least I can use it to find when fermentation is finished.

I wonder if someone would be kind enough, as they did for the OP in the thread above, to let me know an estimated OG and alcohol content for my cider? I used TreeTop "Cider" juice and Wyeast Cider yeast.

Also, I am nervous about the One-Step cleaner I used to sanitize my equipment. It's full of warnings on the label, but states it doesn't require a rinse off. Can someone assure me that this stuff won't poison me upon being ingested? How is it so dangerous, yet doesn't need to be rinsed out?

Finally, I'm just curious if the process of making cider is called "brewing". I ask since there doesn't seem to be any mixing of ingredients to make a "brew"

There was other stuff I wanted to ask, but that's what I can think of for now.

-Thanks-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My guess would be that your OG is about 1.05-1.055. That is about where all of my juices from the store seem to be.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you use any sugar? The juice alone will give you about 6.5%; this assumes a final gravity of 1.000.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
madhusudan
Recipes 

I didn't use any sugar. To keep things simple I only used 5 gallons of juice and the yeast.

Thanks for the alcohol estimate. 6.5% sounds about where I like to drink.

Quick Reply