Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Concerned about new batch of cider just started...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
britishbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Concerned about new batch of cider just started...

I used an old yeast cake that had been used for a doppleweiss. Some liquid and yeast were still at the bottom of the carboy.

I syphoned off the rest of the liquid and the yeast cake (I think) was still at the bottom.

I mixed in apple juice (no preserves) and sugar and I assumed it would take off within three hours or so.

How ever this morning 12 hours later, I still am not seeing signs of any fermenting going on.

Should I just be patient? If after 24 hours I do have some muntons dry yeast I could add.

Also I maybe should have added yeast nutrient in there which I forgot.

Primary: Welches Grape Juice
Secondary: Pail Ale (American)
Secondary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Ghetto Cider (Roundys)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
prey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your best bet would be to add your new yeast if you still don't see any activity within the next few hours. Yeast nutrient really isn't needed actually, and I've done all my batches without it just fine. Good luck mate!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply