New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Complete begginer - set up help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Ladybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Complete begginer - set up help needed

Hi All, I have been lurking here for a few days and really need your help. I would like to start making my own cider but really need your advice before I invest in the right kit. There are lots of Cider Starter kits for sale but I want to get decent kit so as to make good quality cider. Can you offer me some advice as to how much it will cost (I thought around £60??) and what/where is best place to buy. Like I said I am a complete novice (but an enthusiastic one!) based in Rugby, Warwickshire. Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Do you have any links to cidermaking kits, so we can look to see what they have.

It seems to me to make cider, you don't need anything more than a fermenter, and airlock, and maybe a hydrometer to check the status of fermentation, an autosiphon to move the cider from the fermenter, a bottling bucket with spigot and wand, and some sanitizer.

A rough calculation in Us Dollars for that stuff would be about 50-60 dollars. A 5 gallon Better Bottle costs about 20 dollars, the autosiphon 10, another 10 for the bottling bucket/spigot/wand, 7 for the hydrometer and another 5 or 6 for the test jar, 2 for the airlock, and maybe another 10 for the sanitizer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
amasterjedi
Recipes 

Try Art of Brewing in Chessington Surrey they have a web site and are really helpful UK Homebrew Shop | Beer kits | Winemaking Kits | Cider Presses | Home brewing | kegs | barrels | microbrewery | yeast | fruit. you will need a two fermenting bins, a bubbler some campden tablets, and some yeast, hydrometer all for around £30 (thats off the top of my head) then search for Turbo cider on this site using concentrate apple juice, art of brewing also do some cider brew kits. Then next year when the apples are back you can go further maybe with your own press. Hope this helps good luck

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Honestly, the simplest kit you could buy is a gallon jug of applejuice and a packet of bread yeast at the grocery store. It won't taste as good as if it were made with beer or cider yeast from the homebrew store, but it'd definitely work as an experiment.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 12-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
petes
Recipes 

Well what's wrong with Edwort's recipe as a starter? It has one hell of a lot of followers.
I realise he terms it 'Apfelwein' but unadulterated it comes out around 9% so consider it comes in as a cider, at the higher end admittedly, but you'd pick up the basic ingredients easily enough where you are.
Juice (without any preservatives), dextrose and a packet of yeast. Then a carboy, Better Bottle type would be good, an airlock, bit of racking hose for the finish. Oh, and a hydrometer would be handy too.
When you bottle you can, carefully, go direct from your carboy. It's based on the KISS principle,

FWIW.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Forget about adding sugar for the first batch, at least that's my opinion. You can get a better idea about cider without going to heavy on alcohol.

Quick Reply