Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cold crashing w/ fruit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cold crashing w/ fruit

I’ve had pretty good luck cold crashing with US-04 on my apple ciders. I’ve been checking the gravity until it gets down to where I want, then rack into a secondary and cold crash. Then I normally just keg it and I can get the fermentation to not start up again. Now, I’d like to get some fruit flavor into one of my ciders by adding some fresh fruit to the secondary. I’m wondering if adding the fruit will jumpstart the fermentation, even though I’ll have cold crashed it and keep in the fridge. The reason I go to the trouble is because I don’t want to add anything to kill the yeast (Camden, sorbate). I’ve added fruit to the primary but all the flavor just gets scrubbed off. Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Easiest way imo would be to brew your cider a bit stronger than you want it with some extra sugar, and then add the fruit in juice form when you rack to secondary, so it'll be sweet and fruity, still at the ABV you want (as adding the juice will dilute it,) and you won't have to worry about any pulp etc. If you cold crash when it's clear, it shouldn't ferment again.

Are you bottling or kegging? Have you racked your ciders dry and added priming sugar previously, or bottling/kegging sweet ciders?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWalker View Post
If you cold crash when it's clear, it shouldn't ferment again.
it will almost definitely ferment again

Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

admittedly, i've never cold crashed - pasteurizing all the way if you're after sweet, sparkling ciders

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

ummm...... why give dodgy advice on it then?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, my guess was that it would probably kick off again. Still, I'm wondering if there is a way to impart the fruit taste (using fresh fruit) without having to kill the yeast. I can force carb the cider so I'm not concerned about that. It's just that everything I read about killing off the yeast seems to impart flavors that I want nothing to do with. I simply want the fruit essence imparted into the cider. And I won't use extracts.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 42 Posts

I've had good luck cold crashing raspberry ciders. I add about a pound of raspberries, pureed in the blender. I do it a few days before the crash. That way the raspberry pulp drops to the bottom with everything else the crash. If you do it in the secondary, it can be a real PIA to get the pulp out. I've done about a dozen kegs this way over the past several years, never had a problem with fermentation starting back up.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry but I’m not sure I follow you. You say you add puree a couple of days before you cold crash but that it’s not in the secondary? Are you adding at the end of fermentation, in the primary? I should say, a couple days before the gravity is going to be to the point at which you want to cold crash it? If you are doing it this way, does the raspberry flavor not get scrubbed off or is it late enough into the fermentation that you still get good flavor? I’ve really never added fruit to anything so this is all foreign to me. Still, I’m wondering if it is possible to cold crash at the point I want, then rack it into a secondary on top of a fruit puree, and re-coldcrash it so that it doesn’t take off again. Literally, not have it out of the fridge more than 20 minutes.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 42 Posts

Right - I crash between the primary and the secondary. The secondary is just to let it clear some more and to make sure it doesnt start back up. A lot of times I just skip the secondary and go straight to keg after the crash.

Yep, I add the raspberries when its just a tad sweeter than what I want. Not too much sweeter because the raspberries will add some sugar on their own. 3 or 4 days is plenty of time to get the flavor.

I've tried adding raspberry puree after the crash, and that works well taste-wise, but for some reason its harder to get the pulp out that way. I dont know why, maybe its just the juice that I use, or maybe having the yeast present does something to make the pulp settle out better. YMMV. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I see. So you only use 1lbs of berries for 5 gallons? Also, when you say it’s harder to get the pulp out if you add the puree straight to the secondary, do you mean that you have trouble picking up too much of the puree when you’re racking into the keg? I’m going to give this a try here soon. Pitched some US-04 onto 5 gallons of juice about a week ago.

Quick Reply