Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cold crash question..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Can I cold crash it to drop everything out untill it's nice and clear and then take it out of the ferm chamber and let it bulk age (in the secondary still) for a few months at room temp? Or.... should I just bulk age it at 65F and then cold crash for a week or two right before I bottle it?
If you like it really dry, just let it ferment out and it will eventually clear as noted above. As you observed, ale yeast is easy to cold crash. However all of the yeast will drop to the bottom. This can be a real advantage if you want the cider to have some residual sweetness. If you catch the cider between 1.005 and 1.010, the apple sugars will balance the acids and there is less need to age. If you are careful, it will remain stable at room temperature. I have kegs in the fridge from apples that were pressed two weeks ago, as well as kegs sitting at room temp from apples that were pressed last year.. The downside is that if you do a thorough job on the crash, you will need to use a keg or some sort of forced CO2 to add any carbonation back

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply