Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cold Crash and Chemicals

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
AmberLoungeAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold Crash and Chemicals

So, been searching everywhere for the last two weeks on how to finish off my cider. I've been kind of flying blind, because our hydrometer went missing right before this batch. I used 4.5 gallons of cider and an additional 4 pounds of sugar, which should put it right around 12-14%. I also used a full pack of E1118 Lalvin champagne yeast that I had laying around. It started fermenting on August 25th (Two weeks ago as of tomorrow).

Right now, its almost done fermenting. Did a taste test last night, and it actually tastes pretty good. Very wine-like. So my plan is to cold crash it tomorrow and friday, and then bottle it in the original Langers plastic cider bottles that it came in.

My question is, does anybody see a problem with any of that? And do I need to add potasium sorbate or campden tablets to it? This is my first venture away from beer. Thanks in advance for any help, everybody

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

bottling dry cider in plastic is essentially risk-free, if you are going to drink it young, the worst that can happen is that there is some residual sugar and some residual yeast activity and when you open the bottles you have gushers. only hit it with chemicals if you are back sweetening.
that said, 12-14% young dry cider can take the enamel off your teeth, but if you tried it and you like it, then there you go. but if you decide to age it plastic is probably not your best bet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply