The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cloudy cider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Cloudy cider.

On Sunday I bottled some Apfelwein and Panty Dropper Cider (SWMBO has renamed it). http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/pant...-recipe-31460/

The Apfelwein is clear as can be. I'm rather surprised at how cloudy the PTC is. It tasted good when I sampled the remains from the hydrometer tube. Maybe I'm being impatient and cloudy isn't an issue for me, but I expected it to clear up. This is my first batch using mead yeast or table sugar so they may be a factors too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it might be a yeast strain that doesnt flocculate well or it could be pectin from the apples, was the cider cloudy before you added yeast? if it was try adding pectin enzyme. if not either have patience or try something like sparkolloid it has worked wonders for me in the past with non clearing meads.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Bender

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
it might be a yeast strain that doesnt flocculate well or it could be pectin from the apples, was the cider cloudy before you added yeast? if it was try adding pectin enzyme. if not either have patience or try something like sparkolloid it has worked wonders for me in the past with non clearing meads.
It was cloudy when I bottled it, and being in bottles I'm not going to be monkeying around with it, but I'll keep the pectic enzyme in mind for the next batch.

As I said, I'll drink it cloudy. This time of year I buy organic cider, toss some ale yeast into it and let it ferment on the kitchen counter a gallon at a time. That stuff is so cloudy SWMBO won't touch it. One of the fun things about cider is you can do a lot of seat of the pants brewing.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
BrewFrick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The sweet mead yeast does not flocculate well. Plus if I had it to do over again I would post this recipe with pectic enzyme just for this cloudy issue. In my later tries I have found that the sweet mead yeast is a waste of money when used with the cider, just use some Windsor yeast. It is good attenuation medium flocculation and will keep some sugar in the recipe just like the mead yeast. I would go with two more cans of the concentrate on your next go-round, pectic enzyme, and use the Windsor yeast. I think you and your SWMBO will like the results better.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Bender

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewFrick View Post
The sweet mead yeast does not flocculate well. Plus if I had it to do over again I would post this recipe with pectic enzyme just for this cloudy issue. In my later tries I have found that the sweet mead yeast is a waste of money when used with the cider, just use some Windsor yeast. It is good attenuation medium flocculation and will keep some sugar in the recipe just like the mead yeast. I would go with two more cans of the concentrate on your next go-round, pectic enzyme, and use the Windsor yeast. I think you and your SWMBO will like the results better.
That explains the cloudiness. Thanks. I'll try the other ideas, although I'm not sure the home brew place I use carries Windsor. I've never noticed it.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
BrewFrick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If they have Nottingham, they should have Windsor. The package looks just like Nottingham's and is in better supply around brewshops right now.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Bender

Recipes 

On vacation I stopped by a homebrew place and scored some Windsor. When I get back I'll be making a new batch with the modified recipe.

Quick Reply