New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cloudy cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Schott703
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Trying to make a batch of Mikes Carmel Apple. I used 5 gallons of apple juice, no additives, but it is pasteurized. Fermented with Nottingham in 14 days. Racked to a secondary and added 1.5 tea spoons of sparkalight in warm water. (could the problem be water not hot enough?) 5 days later, 1/2" of lees on the bottom but no change in clairtiy
It looks just like it did out of the bottle. I hate cloudy cider and I'm in a hurry!

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Have you tried cold crashing it?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Schott703
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoAllen
Have you tried cold crashing it?
No I have not. I have had mixed results with that in the past. My local brew store told me that generally the color in the bottle at the store is all the better I can expect in the Carboy, unless I use pectic enzyme. Not sure of the science behind it

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have had good success using pectin enzyme in the primary. Then I use bentonite as a clearing agent followed by cold crashing after fermentation has finished. Then I rack the cider to a secondary and let it clear for a few weeks to several months depending on how patient I am.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you not use pectic enzyme?

This may help as taken from... http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/12-clarityfiltration/715-using-fining-agents-techniques

They also recommend a 3-6 month wait period after adding Sparkalloid. I do know if you had the hot mix version and did not prepare it properly it is useless. They do make a cold mix version. But if you only added 1.5tsp to your entire batch you are low, the norm is 1 tsp/gallon prepared in 2 oz water(hot mix).

Pectic enzyme powder is added at a rate of 1–2 g/hL for white wine and 2–4 g/hL for red wine by first dissolving the powder in cool water. It is recommended to add pectic enzymes following the crushing operation (for wines produced from grapes), as a preventive additive, although they can be added during the fining operation. The juice or wine should be at a minimum temperature of 80° F (27° C) for pectic enzymes to be effective.

If cloudiness persists after fining, this indicates that the wine may contain excessive pectin. To test for the presence of pectin, add 50 mL of wine to 200 mL of methanol. If heavy, whitish sediments form, the wine contains excessive pectin and should be treated again with pectic enzymes.

Filtering is recommended for wine treated with pectic enzymes to further clarify the wine.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply