Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Clearing my hard cider!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
jkbrewski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Clearing my hard cider!

Is yeast necessary to clear my cider. I was thinking about racking into a carboy with a campden tablet to stop fermentation because I wanted a more sweet cider, but I also want it to be clear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
pekabrewery
Recipes 

I'm not sure how the campden tablet/yeast would effect the clarity. However, if it is a sweeter cider you are looking for I would suggest adding fresh cider at the end of the fermentation. I normally brew 4 gallons of apple cider and when fermentation is done I add a fresh gallon of cider and bottle/keg it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Without a filter, time is what is really needed to clear cider, although dropping the temperature can really help speed up the process, as can fining agents like bentonite.

Simply racking and adding campden will not stop fermentation. As pekabrewey mentioned, you're better off fermenting to completion, then backsweetening, and finally bottling or kegging depending on your equipment.

Quick Reply