Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Clear up confusion on cider please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
kahunaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clear up confusion on cider please?

I do mostly beer brewing, but as we have one of the largest cider mills in NY state down the road from me, i figured i"d put it to good use.

What I have access to is Mayer Brothers Pasturized Sweet Apple Cider.

first question: Is this different from the "apple juice" requested by Edwort's apfelwein - or is it the same? If it's not the same, can I use it for the recipe with similar results?

second: I read a fair bit on UV vs boil pasturization. As I'm just having some fun with it, can I use this product, which is boiled - or will it turn out awful, and I should "only" use UV pasturized or unpasturized juice?

Lastly - anyone have any suggesitons for what to do with all of this cider that I'll be very happy with? Looking to pull somethng off that makes me excited for cider season.

Thanks!
_tom

Useful Idiot Brewing Co.

Current Brewing Profile:
Primary Fermenter 1 (5 Gal): Belgian Tripel
Primary Fermenter 2 (5 Gal): Double Chocolate Stout
Primary Fermenter 3 (5 Gal): Dogfishhead 60IPA Clone
Primary Fermenter 4 (5 Gal): N. Belgian Fat Tire Clone
Primary Lagerer (5 Gal): Dutch Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Pasteurization is not done by boiling. Temperature ranges for the process run from 135F to 170F depending on exposure time.

Apple juice is just filtered more than cider. As long as there are no preservatives, you'll be fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunaman View Post
Lastly - anyone have any suggesitons for what to do with all of this cider that I'll be very happy with? Looking to pull somethng off that makes me excited for cider season.

Thanks!
_tom
IMHO the best thing you can do is pitch some yeast and let it do it's thing . . . no sugar, no spices, just yeast and time (I let it go a year b4 I bottle). MAYBE if ya really have a wild hair somewhere do it on oak chips

Quick Reply