Circulation Effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrumpyMan

Reaction score
I pressed a fresh batch of cider a few days ago and ended up with more juice than I had carboys for. I had a gallon jug of Arizona Iced Tea that was only 1/4 full in the fridge. I dumped the tea and sanitized it, and used it for a makeshift carboy for primary fermentation.

I have noticed that the shape of the jug - tapering inward toward the top on the handle side - is causing circulation. The bubbles get forced together on the handle side causing a more violent rising action, and picking up more sediment. The sediment then travels across the top and falls on the side opposite the jug handle. This is causing much more sediment-swirling action than I usually note in a regular carboy.

What effect will this have on my cider?

I think it should be fine. Dont know what you have in it but I assume the basics, sugar, juice, yeast, ect. It really doesn't matter that its getting churned up, eventually it will settle. As long as its not so violent that its blowing your top off or something like that its fine. A little more circulation never hurts, it keeps the yeast fed and happy!

Back