Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cinnamonny Goodness
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
SegmentedMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 59
Default Cinnamonny Goodness

I was wondering if anyone had any input on flavoring with cinnamon sticks. I boiled my cider with two large sticks, and added them to the primary. Should I fish them out of there after a few days? Will they impart overwhelming flavor if left in too long? How long is too long?

__________________
SegmentedMonkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
lapaglia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 511
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

well first, NEVER boil the cider. It will set the pectin and may never clear. You didn't say how much cider you have but if its 5 gallons of less take the cinnamon out now. Boiling it will have taken out a lot of flavor.

Most people put in 1 to 1.5 sticks in the secondary for a few weeks.

__________________
Primary: 3 gallon cider S-04
Secondary: Valentine Apfelwein Clone 1 Gal
Bottled: Halloween Apfelwein Clone 1 Gal
On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone
lapaglia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
SegmentedMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 59
Default

Good to know. What temperature does the pectin set? I didn't bring it to a full boil, just heated it to under boiling, so I guess "boil" was the wrong word entirely. I've heated this cider before, last time I made mead, to around the same temp, and it cleared up fine after a couple of months in secondary, and at the time I didn't know about pectin enzymes, so I suspect I'm fine there.

Yes, its a 5 gallon batch. I took the cinnamon out as you suggested, and drew off a sample to taste. It has a barely noticable cinnamon hint to it, but nothing overpowering. This might come to the front a little more as sweetness goes down. Thanks for the info.

__________________
SegmentedMonkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaglia View Post
well first, NEVER boil the cider. It will set the pectin and may never clear. You didn't say how much cider you have but if its 5 gallons of less take the cinnamon out now. Boiling it will have taken out a lot of flavor.

Most people put in 1 to 1.5 sticks in the secondary for a few weeks.
So don't put the sticks in the primary? Whats the process on getting them out of the carboy? Siphon off to another carboy?
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
SegmentedMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
So don't put the sticks in the primary? Whats the process on getting them out of the carboy? Siphon off to another carboy?
I'd think that would give you a risk of oxidization. I'd probably tie a cotton thread to the sticks so I could pull them back out, if they were going in a carbuoy. Mine were just in fermenter bucket, so I just fished them out with my sanitized mixing spoon.
__________________
SegmentedMonkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
lapaglia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 511
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Heat to about 120 and only use enough to dissolve the sugar or honey. No need to heat more than you need. A gallon is more than enough. I put the cinnamon in the secondary in a small herb bag then remove when its where I want it or you can rack to another carboy if you need to get it off the cinnamon sticks. Oxidation isn't that big of a deal with cider if you use standard precautions.

__________________
Primary: 3 gallon cider S-04
Secondary: Valentine Apfelwein Clone 1 Gal
Bottled: Halloween Apfelwein Clone 1 Gal
On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone
lapaglia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aberdeen NJ
Posts: 380
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaglia View Post
Heat to about 120 and only use enough to dissolve the sugar or honey. No need to heat more than you need. A gallon is more than enough. I put the cinnamon in the secondary in a small herb bag then remove when its where I want it or you can rack to another carboy if you need to get it off the cinnamon sticks. Oxidation isn't that big of a deal with cider if you use standard precautions.
What's the difference between Reg aplf and Halloween?
__________________
Firstnten is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creamy goodness SCSF336 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 08-13-2009 10:40 PM
Umm in all it's goodness..... r3dn3ckstyl3z Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 07-03-2009 04:16 AM
4 Batches and nothing but goodness! histo320 General Beer Discussion 5 12-01-2008 04:18 PM