Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider's Slowing Down...SG still high.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cider's Slowing Down...SG still high.

This is my first cider, outlined here. OG was 1.059. Pitched an apple juice starter of White Labs English Cider yeast. They immediately went to work, and I had a 3/4" krausen the next day. The krausen slowly dropped and left a bubbly surface, and the airlock has been bubbling about once every second since thursday or friday. Today, the airlock activity had slowed considerably, so I took a sample reading. SG=1.030. 47% attenuation. According to White Labs, the WLP775 should have >80% attenuation, and leaves you with a dry cider, which is what I'm after.

Now, I've stirred it up a couple times since pitching, and re-oxygenation it once. I also applied a heating pad to bring the temp up from 67 to 72. Should I be stirring/oxygenating this daily?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No.. stop. Ciders ferment at a much slower relaxed pace but it's persistent. The gravity will drop. My batches usually hit 1.00 or .98 in 3-4 weeks using Montrachet.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
No.. stop. Ciders ferment at a much slower relaxed pace but it's persistent. The gravity will drop. My batches usually hit 1.00 or .98 in 3-4 weeks using Montrachet.
Alright, cool. I was stirring it on the advice of Lorena. The reason I got worried is because it was going strong, then slowed down. Is there usually that initial fast-and-furious period, then a slower road to the finish line?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That is what I've noticed as well. Days 3-5 are somewhat krausen producing. I get maybe .5-1" and it dies down rather quickly. From day 6-30, I just get a persistent ring of bubbles just at the perimeter of the carboy. You can see them rising up and adding to it, but no real krausen is maintained. It's basically done when you see no more bubbles rising at all. This is when it starts clearing.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
That is what I've noticed as well. Days 3-5 are somewhat krausen producing. I get maybe .5-1" and it dies down rather quickly. From day 6-30, I just get a persistent ring of bubbles just at the perimeter of the carboy. You can see them rising up and adding to it, but no real krausen is maintained. It's basically done when you see no more bubbles rising at all. This is when it starts clearing.
That's exactly, to a tee, what mine has done. Still have the ring of tiny bubbles around the outside, but the airlock activity has slowed down.

Cool, thanks for the help!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4659 Times on 3384 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Right- you only need the oxygen to get it going then it settles down. I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that it's only really necessary for a couple of days. Slow and steady is the way for most wines and ciders. You'll be surprised that it seems like nothing is going on, and the sg will still continually drop.

Quick Reply