Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider wib preservatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
AUEnder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cider wib preservatives

I put a packet of champaign yeast onto a half gallon of commercial cider preserved with potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate. Sam's was selling gallon jugs of the stuff. I'm using a growler with an airlock attached. It is fermenting. My questions are:
1. Will this turn into anything drinkable?
2. If so, how long until I can get something relatively dry and ready to carbonate?
3. Best way to carbonate?

Thanks in advance!

Primary - American Wheat, Yooper's Centennial Blonde, EdWort's Apfelwein
Secondary - I don't do this anymore
Bottle Conditioning - Traditional Mead
Drinking - Pliny the Elder Clone, 60 Minute IPA, Cascade Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, North English Brown Mild, EdWort's Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
AUEnder
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's "with" preservatives. Darn iPhone.

Drinking - Pliny the Elder Clone, 60 Minute IPA, Cascade Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, North English Brown Mild, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
Alchemy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUEnder
I put a packet of champaign yeast onto a half gallon of commercial cider preserved with potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate. Sam's was selling gallon jugs of the stuff. I'm using a growler with an airlock attached. It is fermenting. My questions are:
1. Will this turn into anything drinkable?
2. If so, how long until I can get something relatively dry and ready to carbonate?
3. Best way to carbonate?

Thanks in advance!
Im just surprised it is fermenting since potasium sorbate is supposed to prevent that
Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
DoctorWho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello AUender,

You will end up with a dry cider, unless you decide to stop fermentation early either by cold crashing or pasteurizing, ect. If this is your first attempt at cider, I recommend just letting it finish out to dry. This should happen in about 3 weeks depending on temperature. Once it's finished, it's really up to you about how long you want to wait until you bottle/drink. The longer it can age, the finer it will taste. With dry ciders, I try to give them at least 3 months time to mellow and mature...and I will tell you that it's worth it to wait.

The best way to carbonate will be to bottle condition. Using priming sugar of your choice (dextrose, cane sugar, ect.) add 1 tbsp and 1 tsp. The general rule is 3/4 cup per 5 gallon. 16 tbsp per cup, 12 per 3/4. 12 divided by 5 = 2.4 tbsp so 1.2 tbsp per half gallon.
Dissolve the sugar in a little warm water and add to your half gallon at the time of bottling. Make sure everything is sanitized and add the cider to bottles and cap (if you are using 12oz bottles you fill about 5.) Let these sit at room temp for about 2 weeks and they should be carbed at that time.

Enjoy!

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, Brandon O's Graff, More Graff, Spiced Graff, Ginger Beer
Up Next: Graham's English Cider

Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
AUEnder
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome. Thank you. If this goes well I may incorporate more cider into the beer brewing schedule!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
wreckinball9
Recipes 

please let us know how this turns out. I have gotten cider with preservatives to ferment but it had an awful flavor and odor that never went away. Ultimately it was undrinkable. I hope your results turn out better!

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Quick Reply