Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider v1.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

yeah I'm pretty biased, but I wouldnt want to be anywhere else but NH for the holidays. or pretty much any time for that matter. Lakes, mountains, ocean, orchards, ski areas all within an hour or so of each other. love it.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #22
charesty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Now I'm a Masshole, a flatlander visitor to my own homeland. I'll be back someday.

Bottled: Brown Ale
Bottled: Pumpkin Pale Ale
Bottled: Sweet Cider
Secondary: Cabernet

Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #23
jrss13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Charestry, how have these held up over the last couple months? Did they only bottle condition for 1 day? I am very interested in bottling my cider fairly sweet and carbonated, and your post looks to be a great way to do it. Any input is appreciated.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
charesty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Held Up Well-Now Clearing

The cider held up very well after the pasteurization. I have 3 bottles left that I'm not going to touch in the interest of science. One bottle is in my fridge and I can see it clearing slowly. The other two are in a cool part of the cellar.

Here's the keys:

• I never primed my cider, I let the sugar in the cider carbonate the bottles
  • Fill a "carb tester" plastic bottle with cider to determine how carbonated the bottles are; you want a very firm plastic bottle after 1-2 days or however long it takes for a firm bottle.
  • Put a towel into the bottom of the pot as a buffer for the bottles; you don't want the bottles touching the metal pot
  • Heat your water bath to 190-200; it will recover more quickly after putting the bottles into the bath. You want about 160 for pasteurization
  • Pasteurize at 160 for 10 minutes
  • Take bottles out of the water bath and put the bottles into a sink and slowly cool them; start with hot water then cool that with cold.

It's probably a good idea to let these condition in a fridge for a week or so to let the CO2 reabsorb into the cider. I can imagine that the heat forces the gas out of the cider and into the neck. Cold temps will help the CO2 get back into your beverage.

Good luck.

Bottled: Brown Ale
Bottled: Pumpkin Pale Ale
Bottled: Sweet Cider
Secondary: Cabernet

Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #25
jrss13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. Did you rack before and after crashing or leave in the original carboy? I've already racked mine then crashed and racked again. Now it has very little activity (every 4 minutes or so). I imagine ill need to prime it.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
dnmattisson
Recipes 

Default Questions

Looks like a great method. I have a few questions though, help is greatly appreciated:
1. What was the reason for the cold crash? Could you not have bottled when you reached your target SG?
2. Does the cold crash just temporarily halt the yeast/fermentation?
3. If you want a secondary fermentation/malo fermentation how would you accomplish? Would you cold crash and rack, wait a few weeks, then add more yeast?

Thanks!

Quick Reply