Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider using Molasses

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
FirstLadyofBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cider using Molasses

I'm new here and this is my 1st post. I want to brew a 1 gal batch of cider using Molasses as the sweetener/sugar. Would anyone have an idea as to how much Molasses to use? we're trying to do something similar to Crispin's Lansdowne.

Thanks and Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 744 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 1939

Depends on how much of that molasses flavour you want in your end product. In a 1 gallon batch, using molasses as the ONLY added sugar, you might start with 2 - 4 fluid ounces of molasses. Most of it will ferment out, but there will be some residual flavour; You'll just have to experiment as to how much added molasses will give you the flavour profile you're looking for. I can't taste 3 oz in 6 gallons, but I can sure taste 8 oz in six gallons. I use Grandma's Original Molasses:
http://www.grandmasmolasses.com/grandmas_products.asp

You might want to use either cane sugar or FAJC (thawed) to boost the ABV & just use the molasses as a flavour adjunct. The point being that you have Pretty much everything except the molasses flavour profile & with that acheived, you can always add more molasses until you reach the desired flavour.
That's the best info I can give you, as I've never used molasses in a 1 gallon batch.
Regards, GF.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
Brann_mac_Finnchad
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for asking on this--I have a batch I'm thinking about doing with mollasses and brown sugar. I was thinking about 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 mollasses.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I used a full 12oz jar of grandma's and 12oz of dark brown sugar in a 3 gallon batch.
It fermented out most of the flavor and left me with a hint of molasses taste and an amber color similar to Woodchuck 802.

Quick Reply