Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider tastes way too strong!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
jacobean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider tastes way too strong!!

Ok december 11 I made my first hard cider. Nothing too crazy. I made three gallons, useing smucker apple butter boiled into 3 quarts or so of water.
then i pasturized some apple cider and dumped that all into a 3 gallon main fermenter. Pitched yeast at about 90 F.

Everything started out great. within six hours i had my airlock going like snot bubbles on a 5 year old with asthma!

three days later i took 2 pounds of sugar cubes and dumped that in there for good measure.

before the yeast was pitched i had a SG of 1.050, and today since it has been a little over a week, i took a reading ( and small taste) of about 1.000 maybe lower the bubbles were in the way, so an accurate reading was a little hard.

It is so dry!!! and potent too. I know my S G was 1.050 but with the added 2 pounds of sugar i can only imagine its got to be up there in A V

Now the yeast i used was what the brew store recommended.
it was a red star wine yeast called cote des blancs.

I imagine this is why my hard cider is tasting more like wine/champagne than hard cider.

but what im wondering is this, everyone is going on about how aging will make this taste better, and obviously i wasnt hoping to make three gallons of apple wine. so will this taste better after racking, and should i rack it now even though its still bubbling once every 25 seconds? how long should i age this?
and can anyone tell me why the brew store would recommend wine yeast over something a little less potent?
seriously i like alcohol as much as the next guy, but after three sips my tongue was numb and i felt like i could pass out...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well, it's less about the yeast and more about continually feeding the thing more fermentables (sugar cubes...just for good measure). I would let it finish fermenting and then you could possible rack it and bulk age it or bottle it and age it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
jacobean
Recipes 

well it tasted good at least, just not what i was expecting... heh! i do have a 5 gallon batch of pilsner to hold me over while this bad boy ages. so thats good at least.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
BoomerCreek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Perhaps too much sugar is the culprit. You essentially created an apple wine by adding 2 lbs. of sugar to 3 gallons. Regular apple juice will have a OG of 1.050-1.060. That will produce a lower alcohol more appley tasting cider. A long period of bulk aging will mellow out the alcohol flavor and some of the apple smell/flavor may reappear. Good luck.

Boomer Creek Cider Co.

"They speak of my drinking but they never think of my thirst." -Scottish Proverb

Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sugar has 45 points/lb. 2 lbs added 90 points, or 30 points in 3 gallons.

So your 1.050 effectively went to 1.080. Fermenting to 1.000 would give you 10.5% abv.

Leave it where it is for at least a few more weeks.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
jacobean
Recipes 

actually i decided since i did any estimate, to bottle it. the yeast was to tolerant, and i didnt have any campden tabs, so i primed it and bottled it. hoping in a year it taste like a super nice champagne wine.... or at least i hope... i might need to get some of the chemicals like tannic acid and stuff to balance it out. very very acidic right now.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If it's very acidic, I doubt that adding acid would help!

If this happens again, you could try backsweetening it with something unfermentable like lactose or splenda.

You can also do this in the glass if you find it too dry at drinking time. Just add a pinch of splenda (might dissolve it in a tiny bit of water since you carbonated your cider) and pour on it. Some folks just add a splash of Sprite to sweeten it up.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Mike_Fox
Recipes 

is Splenda unfermentable because i think its something like 95% dextrose(corn sugar)?

Quick Reply