Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider tastes like water - Your opinion please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Richelle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider tastes like water - Your opinion please!

Hello,

I just bottled 2 batches of 23L of cider.

• In both I used Freshly squeezed apple juice from the orchard
  • Yeast was: Lalvin E-1118
  • In the second batch, I added frozen strawberries

THEY TASTE LIKE WATER

Is it because I didn't use concentrate?

Do you have any other ideas as to what could have gone wrong?

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

1...EC 1118 too aggressive for cider, strips the apple flavor. Give it some time it may come back with aging. Many prefer to use Ale yeasts. Nottingham is quite popular.

2.... Depends on apple varieties in the cider. Good eating apples don't make the best cider.

3...Did you take any SG readings before or after fermentation?

4....Sometimes adding some sweetness back (backsweetening) will bring some flavor back. You need to stabilize with sulphite and sorbate first or pasteurize after or the yeasts will kick back in and eat the new sugars. I prefer to use frozen apple juice concentrate for backsweetening. Adds sweetness and flavor.

5 How much berries? You need around 3 lbs per gallon to retain much flavor. I prefer to add fruit after primary fermentation. It seems to retain more fruitiness during a slower ferment.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I made a very similar batch, with EC 1118, and had no problems, great flavour. I have a batch with strawberry right now, should be ready to try this week.

My guess is your juice wasn't the most flavourful to begin with

Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Richelle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
1...EC 1118 too aggressive for cider, strips the apple flavor. Give it some time it may come back with aging. Many prefer to use Ale yeasts. Nottingham is quite popular.

2.... Depends on apple varieties in the cider. Good eating apples don't make the best cider.

3...Did you take any SG readings before or after fermentation?

4....Sometimes adding some sweetness back (backsweetening) will bring some flavor back. You need to stabilize with sulphite and sorbate first or pasteurize after or the yeasts will kick back in and eat the new sugars. I prefer to use frozen apple juice concentrate for backsweetening. Adds sweetness and flavor.

5 How much berries? You need around 3 lbs per gallon to retain much flavor. I prefer to add fruit after primary fermentation. It seems to retain more fruitiness during a slower ferment.
Thanks for your answer

1- I was also told that EC1118 made wines/ciders too dry. I was suggested to use K1-V1116 next time. But I will look into beer yeasts. They seem to be quite popular in this forum

2- Good to know. I'll shop around more next time. Even though there are great suggestions in the forums, I don't think I can find all of these juices in canada. I'll check it out next time im in the us

3-Yes: Initial was 1.081 and final was 1.004 & 1.000

4- I'm reading about that for the next time. Does your yeast have to be done when you do that?

5- Really not much.... I don't think it changed anything.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

You made Bud-cider!

Has alcohol but lacking that flavor you were looking for.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelle View Post
Thanks for your answer

1- I was also told that EC1118 made wines/ciders too dry. I was suggested to use K1-V1116 next time. But I will look into beer yeasts. They seem to be quite popular in this forum

2- Good to know. I'll shop around more next time. Even though there are great suggestions in the forums, I don't think I can find all of these juices in canada. I'll check it out next time im in the us

3-Yes: Initial was 1.081 and final was 1.004 & 1.000

4- I'm reading about that for the next time. Does your yeast have to be done when you do that?

5- Really not much.... I don't think it changed anything.
I'm really worried about bottle bombs for you. At an OG of 1.081, and that yeast strain, the FG should be more like .990. If they are at 1.004 and 1.000, they aren't done. Where they at those readings for quite a while and totally clear?

I'd put the bottles somewhere very safe and very cold, so they don't ferment out more and blow up. Use extreme caution if you decide to drink one, and use eye protection as well when you open it.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
ThorGodOfThunder
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts

I've had ciders finish much higher than 1.000. I think my last batch settled in around 1.012. I wouldn't be too worried about the FG as long as you gave it plenty of time to ferment.

I've also used ec-1118 with good luck. You can ferment at a pretty low temperature with it, so i usually put the must in my basement and let it ferment in the mid-60s. Its nice and slow and does a great job.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yooper is right......there is no way EC1118 should finish over 1.00 on it's own with an OG of 1.081.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Richelle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm really worried about bottle bombs for you. At an OG of 1.081, and that yeast strain, the FG should be more like .990. If they are at 1.004 and 1.000, they aren't done. Where they at those readings for quite a while and totally clear?

I'd put the bottles somewhere very safe and very cold, so they don't ferment out more and blow up. Use extreme caution if you decide to drink one, and use eye protection as well when you open it.
I guess all thos pirate costume eye patches will finally come in handy
The SGs were at that reading for a couple of weeks... but ill keep my eyes open.... and far away from the bottle opening.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Richelle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
Yooper is right......there is no way EC1118 should finish over 1.00 on it's own with an OG of 1.081.
Keep in mind that this is apple juice from freshly squeezed/picked apples. Perhaps that batch was sweeter than it should.

Quick Reply