Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
decibelz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well the hole vinegar thing when you just let the air touch it after fermentation the alcohol turns . But I can see what you mean that you don't want to drill into your lids . What are you using can you get a picture up somehow ? I'm quite interested in how your doing this . If your just using a bucket then lids with the holes in them they already sell for cheap it's like $3 and the buckets are $10 but that's just 5gal . I want to start with larger batches but I like to do 4 to 5 different brews all at once myself .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #22
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibelz View Post
Well the hole vinegar thing when you just let the air touch it after fermentation the alcohol turns . But I can see what you mean that you don't want to drill into your lids . What are you using can you get a picture up somehow ? I'm quite interested in how your doing this . If your just using a bucket then lids with the holes in them they already sell for cheap it's like $3 and the buckets are $10 but that's just 5gal . I want to start with larger batches but I like to do 4 to 5 different brews all at once myself .
These are 18 gallon food grade barrels I bought from a local online auction for 10 bucks apiece. There is a good rubber gasket under the lids and a galvanized clamp ring for sealing them tight.
100media-imag0022.jpg   100media-imag0023.jpg  

Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

^ Are you just opening them to de-pressurize them every day? Or do you have some kind of air lock on them?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #24
roadymi
Recipes 

NOT OPENING......Tops are just resting in place with a couple of 1/2 gallon jugs to hold them in place. I figure as they build pressure they will burp it out a bit. Temps are averaging around 60F in my garage. I am going to let them go until probably Jan than rack to carboys.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #25
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Oh, I see. I thought maybe you were clamping them down.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
decibelz
Recipes 

Those are sweet! I can see why you don't want to put holes in them but those seals I would recommend in checking the size and buying replacements I only say that cause they dry rot and loose there seal . I say this from experience . My brew went to **** so that's why I only use carboys or ale pails. But those lids look like they could be the same size as a 5 gal bucket if they are Home Depot sells them with that same rubber gasket . Take one with you and check them out if I'm right buy a few and then drill the holes for air locks but I wouldn't do it till you know for sure they are the same sizes . Is there a name on them cause I want to find some of those for myself I really like them

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #27
roadymi
Recipes 

Here's some better pics from the auction site. They have more available on this next weeks auction. Shipping wou;d probably be a killer if your not local though. No manf. labels I can find.

http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=1035226

Quick Reply