Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
jlh42581
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you need to take a step back and do some more reading. Not trying to be a jerk but yes youre going to need some way to let off pressure. Plastic should be food grade plastic but Ive read people use regular plastic with success.

I think youre getting the cart ahead of the horse. Cider by its very nature in non alcohol form is flat.

Primary -Blackberry
Bottled Recent - Hard Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah it might not hurt to start with a smaller batch size. It's less heartbreaking to make mistakes with a 1 gallon, or even 5 gallon batch than to ruin 20 or more gallons. The reason I think the above poster thinks you are putting the very before the horse might be because you asked if yeast will stop fermentation...

Yeast CAUSES fermentation and therefore CO2, hydrometers help determine alcohol content, and airlocks or some other mechanism is needed to allow CO2 to escape your fermentation chamber.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
decibelz
Recipes 

If your going to do this YOU MUST HAVE AND AIR-LOCK! ! If you don't have access to a brew shop no problem . This is what you do go to Home Depot get 6ft of 3/8 plastic tubing next a 20 soda or water bottle with or without cap next you will need a gromit or a rubble seal that has a I.D. Of 3/8 I.D. Is inside diameter then drill a hole in the lid of your fermenting vessel feed the hose threw about 1in then the rest flows into the 20oz bottle add water and PRESTO ! You made an air lock . You should change the water every 48 to avoid any contamination . I hope this helps

Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have 2-18 gal plastic barrels fermenting. They have removeable lids. I just leave the lids loosely fitted on top with a bit of weight on top to hold them in place. I prefer carbed cider but flat (still) cider is tasty also. If you have the capabilities I would bottle a few cases in beer bottles and carb them up.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #15
decibelz
Recipes 

Dude/girl you need an Air lock otherwise it's gonna go to ****! If it hasn't started to already see an air lock creates a water wall co2 can exit but O2 can't enter if oxygen or bacteria get to it it will be the end for your cider and you'll be left with vinegar instead how far along is it? 2 days 3days even then it might be to late :'( you always need an air lock when making alcohol even vodka moonshine etc.oxygen can not I mean CAN NOT COME IN CONTACT WITH IT ! Do yourself a favor and get on the Internet and buy a starter kit for $90 buck from brewers best in there you will have EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO START BREWING I hate to say this but you might have f'd up your batch take this as a learning experience and read up on it before you start . Hey I started with Arizona iced tea and baking yeast after that it was apple juice with raisins honey corn sugar and again baking yeast in an old wine bottle . But the only thing I checked out was the air lock no air lock no alcohol Don't get me wrong it just might work for ya but only by luck I hope this helps

Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
rmonge00
Recipes 

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tip. That was a miswording with the yeast stoping fermentation - I meant using HEAT to stop the fermentation. Sorry! I have made wine quite a few times in the past, but not cider andnever in such large quantities and never in a plastic bucket. The reason why I am starting such a big amount is because I have access to LOTS of free apples... A few more questions though...

- During my primary fermentation, I have never used an airlock, only a pan with a lid on it, I always use the airlocks during secondary fermentation. Are you guys recommending that I use an air-lock for the primary fermentation as well?

- Thanks for the idea on the homemade airlock, I will try it. And, roadymi, do you not use an air-lock?

Thanks again for the help guys...

Ryan

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
decibelz
Recipes 

Oh yeah I use one on everything I brew if you think about it adding an air lock can't hurt it . It just keeps everything stable in its own environment , without change , when the co2 stops blowing off then you don't have that invisible gas wall protecting it in a way plus the more of the natural gases come in contact with it the better . Oxygen is what makes vinegar you can make some real nice cooking vinegar this way . You should take some off and try it

Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ohh...that makes more sense now! Well in my limited experience, making (still) cider is about the same process as making wine, except not as alcoholic.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
UlyssesGrant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

rmonge00

Airlocks are very cheap. I am only making my first batch now, but I am using one for primary AND secondary (if I go to secondary).

Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sure airlocks are cheap but.......my clamp on lids won't accomodate them w'o drilling and I don't want holes in my lids. There are no worries fermenting in primary as long as you are careful. CO2 is heavier than air so it will displace all the nasty Oxygen. Oxygen not the bad boy that it is being represented. Air comes into contact at racking and bottling with no ill effects. Just use a campden tab / gallon every other handling to prevent oxidation. Your cider no more susceptible than your wine. RLDAHB! and have fun.

I'm by no means an expert but I have somewhere around 100 gallons of cider under my belt and no vinegar or dumped batches yet......knock on wood...

Quick Reply