The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider stopped fermenting after a week?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
dash14251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider stopped fermenting after a week?

so im making a simple cider from apple juice as my first batch of anything. i put 5 gallons of apple juice into my bucket with yeast and put the top and airlock on. i poured half the juice in the bucket then mixed yeast with half gallon of juice then poured into bucket with rest of juice making it splash a little to maybe help oxygenate it. this was march 31 and as of april 6 the airlock has not moved and not one bubble has come out since then.

i guess my question is, is this normal? should i keep it where it is? its been a constant 65 degrees and not moved (except once: the second day i took the lid off to measure the hydrometer reading then put the lid back on) i hope that didnt mess it up.

anyway, any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

How do you know fermentation is not taking place??? Are you going by airlock activity, or did you take a gravity reading...if you are soley going by airlock then you may have fermentation going and not even know it..an airlock is a vent, to release excess co2, not an accurate, calibrated instrument.

Read this, and let us know what your hydrometer is saying...

Revvy's Blog-Think Evaluation Before Action

There are a lot of reasons aren't bubbling..there is more than likely a yeast party going on, and you don't even know it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Awesome post Revvy, loved the blog posting as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
except once: the second day i took the lid off to measure the hydrometer reading then put the lid back on
This is why the airlock is bubbling (and why arilocks mean nothing) when you opened it you voided all the excess co2 put of there....there's simply not enough to make it bubble...co2 is heavier than air...it really only causes airlocks to bubble when there is more than the fermenter can handle..otherwise we'd be painting our ceilings....the airlock should only be considered a "pressure release" valve...

Everthing's fine....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
dash14251
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
How do you know fermentation is not taking place??? Are you going by airlock activity, or did you take a gravity reading...if you are soley going by airlock then you may have fermentation going and not even know it..an airlock is a vent, to release excess co2, not an accurate, calibrated instrument.

Read this, and let us know what your hydrometer is saying...

Revvy's Blog-Think Evaluation Before Action

There are a lot of reasons aren't bubbling..there is more than likely a yeast party going on, and you don't even know it.

um, i didnt say fermentation is not taking place. i said i have not seen a single bubble in the airlock for the last 2 days and today is day 9. i was just wondering if this is normal, thats all. i know what an airlock is.

-with cider is it ok to open the lid during fermentation to check the gravity?

-when the time comes to rack, should i not move the bucket from where it is so i dont disturb the **** on top and bottom or is that a big deal?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

That's what I said...bubbles mean nothing....

and if there's still Krausen on top, then you don't rack it...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash14251 View Post
um, i didnt say fermentation is not taking place.
actuallly your thread title says this, "Cider stopped fermenting after a week"

How is that different from saying, "no fermentation is taking place?"

you are equating bubbling with fermentation, right?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Fermentation slows down significantly within the first 2-10 days. It slows down so much that, while it may just be chugging away, you might not see a single bubble.

Open away, but do it sparingly. You don't want to do it too often to risk losing your sweet blanket of co2 goodness protecting your brew from oxidation.

It's ok to move it if you need to get it somewhere better for racking. But if you do move it, move it a while before you rack. Give it at least several hours (my opinion if not the day before) to let everything resettle to the bottom. You will absolutely shake it up a bit by moving it, so give the lees the chance to recompact before racking.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
dash14251
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
This is why the airlock is bubbling (and why arilocks mean nothing) when you opened it you voided all the excess co2 put of there....there's simply not enough to make it bubble...co2 is heavier than air...it really only causes airlocks to bubble when there is more than the fermenter can handle..otherwise we'd be painting our ceilings....the airlock should only be considered a "pressure release" valve...

Everthing's fine....

well when i first took the lid off it was before days 3-5 when the airlock bubbled every 2 seconds.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash14251 View Post
well when i first took the lid off it was before days 3-5 when the airlock bubbled every 2 seconds.
again...you are quibbling..what I am saying is everything is fine...airlock bubbling means nothing...2 seconds, 5 minutes, day 3, day 6, whatever, you will be much happier if you don't concern yourself with counting bubbles...

did you read my blogs? Half of my beers have never had any airlock activity...

Your hydrometer is more important that your airlock....

relax

Quick Reply