The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider Spices?? Clove??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Cider Spices?? Clove??

I just got back from a fellow brew club members house and we just pressed about four bushels of apples on his old apple press. I have about 4 gallons in the carboy at about 1053-1055.

I'm dumping about half a gallon of water in it that I boiled a pound of light brown sugar, a pound of raisins, a pound of cherries and a pound of currants in.

Thinking about adding a little bit of clove...

Obviously not going for a dry cider here... and I'm thinking it's going to sit in my basement until next winter.

Any opinions on the clove or is that just going way overboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I added cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a batch of apfelwein a few weeks ago, and cloves are all I taste. It has a somewhat soapy/potpourri flavor going on that I do not like. It's mellowing, but be careful, next time I plan to just skip the cloves, since I think that is were that off flavor came from. If you do use cloves, go easy on them (use one or two), you can always add a few more along the way if needed.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a pretty tasty concoction going there already without adding any spices.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

cool... thanks. That's helpful

Yeah, I'm starting to think I'm going to skip the clove. I probably have enough going on.

Just took a swig of it from my hydrometer reading and it's damn tasty. Obviously it won't taste anything like what I just tasted but hopefully it stays at least a little sweet.

I'm at about 1062 now that I've added the lt brown sugar and the fruit and I'm using WLP775 (Eng Cider Yeast) so I'm hoping the yeast starts to quit with a little sugar left over.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

other spices that go with cloves: star-anise, allspice, cinnamon, and ginger. do not use the ground form of any of them. mead recipes ive made that used those spices need only about 1/2tsp(lightly crushed) of each for a 5 gallon batch, they're very potent spices and the natural sourness of apples makes them seem even stronger.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I would just like to say less is better with spices, fruit, etc, in ciders, meads, beers, etc.
Just 4 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick in a 5 gallon batch is a lot or too much for me. I want a hint of the spices, not to taste or actually smell them.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

A little spice goes a long way, especially with clove, 1 or 2 whole cloves are PLENTY for a 5 or 6 gallon batch. Avoid ground spices, they can be rather nasty. Regards, GF.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

What about the 1lb of brown sugar and 3 lbs of fruit I added??

I've done a very basic cider (nothing added) before and it was ok... it was very straight forward and actually kind of boring for my tastes... so I thought I would try to add to the complexity a bit and add the other fruits. My understanding was that even that much other fruit would very quickly be overpowered by the cider and would fade very quickly into the background.

I was thinking that, by the time it's done (I am planning on letting it sit until next holiday season) all of those other fruit flavors will basically be nothing more than hints of flavor... which is why I was thinking maybe just a little clove to add another "hint".

Well... in any case, I'm passing on the clove (thank you for all the feedback) but I'm curious what you guys think about the other fruits.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
What about the 1lb of brown sugar and 3 lbs of fruit I added??
I was thinking maybe just a little clove to add another "hint".
but I'm curious what you guys think about the other fruits.
I think your raisins will add some body, but the actual raisin flavour will blend into the background.

The cherry flavour will also be diminished, especially is they're sweet cherries; tart (pie) cherries will hold up better & deliver more flavour to your finished product.

The currants will diminish some, but currants are chock full o' flavour, I think that's the flavour that will be most detectable. I've nver used brown sugar in a cider before, but I would think it would compliment the apple flavour rather well; I wouldn't think it would go well with the currants, but I could be wrong on that. If you try it, let us know how it turns out. Regards, GF.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafire View Post
I added cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a batch of apfelwein a few weeks ago, and cloves are all I taste. It has a somewhat soapy/potpourri flavor going on that I do not like. It's mellowing, but be careful, next time I plan to just skip the cloves, since I think that is were that off flavor came from. If you do use cloves, go easy on them (use one or two), you can always add a few more along the way if needed.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a pretty tasty concoction going there already without adding any spices.
I add a piece of cinnamon stick, 2 clove pieces, and some tubinado sugar to make a hot mulled Apfelwein. Add a shot of good rum, serve in a mug and it will warm you up right quick. Make only as much as you will serve or drink in an evening.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
LastKnight
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
I just got back from a fellow brew club members house and we just pressed about four bushels of apples on his old apple press. I have about 4 gallons in the carboy at about 1053-1055.

I'm dumping about half a gallon of water in it that I boiled a pound of light brown sugar, a pound of raisins, a pound of cherries and a pound of currants in.

Thinking about adding a little bit of clove...

Obviously not going for a dry cider here... and I'm thinking it's going to sit in my basement until next winter.

Any opinions on the clove or is that just going way overboard?
So, how did this turn out?

Quick Reply