Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > cider recipies
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
bigdipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aliquippa, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 10
Default cider recipies

so im new to brewing and i really want to get in to making hard cider so can someone please give me some easy recipes and equipment by the way im low on income

__________________
bigdipper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
urbanmyth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Lakes, WI
Posts: 1,000
Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default

If you are REALLY low on income, I would suggest a modified EdWort's Apfelwein. Take a gallon of decent, preservative free cider or juice, heat a pint or so of it in a sauce pan with a couple cups of regular table sugar and put back into the jug. Pitch some montrachet or champagne yeast and attach some sort of airlock. Not the quickest turnaround on these types of ciders, but it is easy, cheap and rewarding.

If you have a little more money to spend, I would get a Better Bottle brand carboy (or any other #1 or #2 plastic carboy, Nestle started selling their spring water in #1 plastic late 2011 around me), and do a proper EdWort's Apfelwein. It's a sticky over in the wine section.

Also, try searching for "Drunken Emu Hard Cider." I just did a modified version of this that was drinkable after two and a half weeks. That recipe is a great base, and easily modified.

__________________
Aurë Entuluva! Day shall come again!

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.
urbanmyth is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
bigdipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aliquippa, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdipper View Post
so im new to brewing and i really want to get in to making hard cider so can someone please give me some easy recipes and equipment by the way im low on income
my friend gave me some hard apple cider and it tasted sour
__________________
bigdipper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
BuddyWeiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgrade, MT
Posts: 260
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Hi! I'm new to brewing too. I am starting my first batch of cider ever tomorrow. Here is the recipe I aim to use.
5 gal apple cider (no preservatives)
2 lbs light brown sugar
2 lbs clover honey
1 or 2 packs of dry champagne yeast (you might consider rehydrating the yeast)
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming sugar)

Boil one gallon of cider long enough to dissolve all the brown sugar and honey in it. Then pour everything (cept the corn sugar) into your fermenter, make sure it's well aerated (I'm just gonna stir it with a big spoon) and then let it sit for 3 weeks. Next, mix in the 3/4 cup of corn sugar until it disolves and then bottle 'er up! Let the cider sit in the bottle for at least 1 week.

Might not be the cheapest hard cider recipe, but it seems straight forward and sounds simple! Good luck!

__________________

RDWHAPBR

BuddyWeiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 8,860
Liked 822 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 2234

Default

Basic equipment:
Bucket fermentor W/lid, airlock, plastic tubing, bottling wand, bottles, crown caps & bottles...

Or you could just buy swingtop bottles & avoid the crown capping equip.
You'll need a couple of things like yeast, juice, sugar, yeast nutrient/energizer and at some point you'll want to get a carbouy & proper sized, drilled rubber stopper. That's about it, sounds like a lot, but it's not.

As far as recipes go, have a look here:
Cider
I'd say try apfelwein or graff to start, they're both easy & inexpensive.
Regards, GF.

__________________
gratus fermentatio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
DWavs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Middletown, Virginia
Posts: 197
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyWeiser View Post
Hi! I'm new to brewing too. I am starting my first batch of cider ever tomorrow. Here is the recipe I aim to use.
5 gal apple cider (no preservatives)
2 lbs light brown sugar
2 lbs clover honey
1 or 2 packs of dry champagne yeast (you might consider rehydrating the yeast)
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming sugar)

Boil one gallon of cider long enough to dissolve all the brown sugar and honey in it. Then pour everything (cept the corn sugar) into your fermenter, make sure it's well aerated (I'm just gonna stir it with a big spoon) and then let it sit for 3 weeks. Next, mix in the 3/4 cup of corn sugar until it disolves and then bottle 'er up! Let the cider sit in the bottle for at least 1 week.

Might not be the cheapest hard cider recipe, but it seems straight forward and sounds simple! Good luck!
You may not want to boil that 1 gallon of cider. If you do, you will have a hard time getting your recipe to clear.
__________________
DWavs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
BuddyWeiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgrade, MT
Posts: 260
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Thanks for the tip DWavs! I'll try to slowly heat it up and stir like crazy until I get all of the sugar and honey dissolved.

__________________

RDWHAPBR

BuddyWeiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
sashurlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Rutland, Vermont
Posts: 333
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

If you want to make cider, why would you use an apple wine recipe?
Apple cider, yeast and time is how you make hard cider. Adding sugar just gives it more alcohol turning perfectly good cider into wine.

__________________
sashurlow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
DWavs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Middletown, Virginia
Posts: 197
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashurlow View Post
If you want to make cider, why would you use an apple wine recipe?
Apple cider, yeast and time is how you make hard cider. Adding sugar just gives it more alcohol turning perfectly good cider into wine.
Good point. I got 3 gallons going with nothing but the cider and yeast.
__________________
DWavs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
MarkKF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meriden, CT
Posts: 458
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashurlow View Post
If you want to make cider, why would you use an apple wine recipe?
Apple cider, yeast and time is how you make hard cider. Adding sugar just gives it more alcohol turning perfectly good cider into wine.
So Cider is low alcohol and wine is higher? Can they both be sparkling?
__________________
MarkKF is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cider-Yeast Starter Question - How much cider/volume? brewinginct Cider Forum 11 10-25-2013 05:25 AM
Cider newbie - process questions for kegged sweet hard force carbed cider jfdimarco Cider Forum 3 02-23-2013 10:53 AM
Noob cider help... How long do you generally ferment Cider? unclejimbay Cider Forum 9 01-27-2012 08:20 PM
In need of some recipies cider&lemonade huntingohio Cider Forum 5 04-25-2011 07:04 PM
Still cider - backsweeten with cider and bottled - how to prevent bottle bombs ashyg Cider Forum 11 10-20-2010 03:10 PM