Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider Recipe Needed- 1 gallon with hint of sweet and apple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
robdenver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider Recipe Needed- 1 gallon with hint of sweet and apple

Hey there,

My first post so be gentle! Also new to brewing stuff.

I searched the recipes and am looking for a (if it exists) 1 gallon hard cider recipe that has a hint of apple and sweetness. I see many recipes (and some look very good) but:

1. Can you easily scale down a 5 gal recipe and have things turn out?

2. What about yeast types. Some of the 5 gal recipes use White Lab and from the looks of it, they come in a tube. I dunno how one would downsize it (unless weighing it is OK and I assume you throw the rest out?).

3. Any advice on a tried but true would be great. I was going to use an organic unfiltered juice this time until cider making season.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Easy. One gallon apple juice (fresh or concentrate) and about any wine yeast. Maybe throw in some sulfites if you handled the juice at all, and some pectic enzyme to help clear it. Follow the directions on all of the packages. Don't add sugar as it will increase the alcohol and mask the apple.

Make sure to take a hydrometer reading. Cider will go to 1.000 or lower. Stabilize it then, and add more juice or sugar to sweeten it back up. Bottle carbing a sweet cider is asking for bottle bombs, so don't try it. Dry and carbed is easy.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6266 Times on 5439 Posts
Likes Given: 809

Lavlin D47 yeast tends to retain a little more apple flavor than Montrachet. At least for me.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here is what I recommend for the first time

1) I 100% recommend doing small batches, like 1 gal. You are on the right track by wanting to start there. That way you can experiment without blowing a pile of money for something that is just 'ok'.

2) Juice: A cider can be as simple as apple juice and yeast. Most juice in a bottle has an SG of 1.045-ish. If fermented to 1.010, which is a sweet cider, you would have 4.5% ABV. Use juice that does not have any sorbate in it. Ascorbic acid is ok.

3) A good yeast is actually Safale S04. It ferments clean and settles out very nicely. I ferment using S04 at 50deg. I also add 1/2lb DME per gallon to give it some more body. With that level of DME, you get an OG of 1.060. I like mine sweeter than most, so I cold crash at 1.020.

4) Carbonating is much trickier than with beer. It can be done, but is risky (from a bottle bomb perspective). There are other threads on here that talk about this.

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
robdenver
Recipes 

Thank you for your responses. I will do some research now that I have a way to proceed. I ordered some D47 to make my first mead (well second as a JAOM was put together yesterday). The Safale S04 looks interesting too so I need to look it up.

Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
LambChop4Prez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Homebrew cider is actually how I started into homebrewing (I am still a n00b, but have a little experience). Cider is the easiest thing to make. In the fall, I found a place that sells fresh apple cider by the gallon, added some sugar for sweetness and alcohol, pitched the yeast and two weeks later I had some delicious cider!
I actually used champagne yeast and found that it had a slight carbonation very similar to champagne.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChop4Prez View Post
Homebrew cider is actually how I started into homebrewing (I am still a n00b, but have a little experience). Cider is the easiest thing to make. In the fall, I found a place that sells fresh apple cider by the gallon, added some sugar for sweetness and alcohol, pitched the yeast and two weeks later I had some delicious cider!
I actually used champagne yeast and found that it had a slight carbonation very similar to champagne.
Adding sugar doesn't increase the sweetness if added before/during fermentation. It only increases the alcohol. Adding sugar after it has fermented and stablized does increase sweetness.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
robdenver
Recipes 

So here is a dumb question....I started Grahams English Cider yesterday and it is plugging along nicely. I made a 1 gallon batch.

However, I put in the whole packet of S-04. Other yeasts state for 1-5 gallons but S-04 says something like 15.9 g for 20-30 liters.

My thought, based on reading other posts, is that the yeast will do what it needs to do and then stop and the extra yeast will not impact flavor? True? False?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

True, it will settle on the bottom. If you leave it there for extended periods (months, years) without transferring/bottling, some say it will produce off-flavors as the yeast begins to eat itself when the sugar runs out. They call this "autolysis"

The yeast reproduces exponentially when you pitch it. Whether you add 1 packet to a gallon or 5 gallons, the number of total yeast that will eventually be in your liquid is going to be a product of the amount of nutrient in your cider/etc because it will reproduce until it consumes all the nutrients, regardless of how much yeast you started with.

There is such a thing as overpitching and underpitching, but for general homebrewing quantities and storebought products, it's not that much of a concern. For higher alcohol products, the nutrients you add are much more important than how much yeast you add.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Check out this topic. Even though I only added a sprinkle of the yeast, I guarantee by the end of the week I'll have the same amount of lees (yeast fallen to the bottom) as if I had added the whole pack.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/red...-cuvee-171477/

Quick Reply