The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider with real fruit, any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Kousenshu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider with real fruit, any ideas?

Hi!
First post, but not the first batch. Ive made a batch of mead from scratch and a couple off batches of cider from one of those "just add water, sugar, yast and ferment"-sets from the stores. In these sets you add 2.2 pounds of sugar (i use pure dextrose) into a about 6.5 gallon batch, and add yeast (how much i dont know).

So i figured, it can´t be that hard to make cider from real fruit (i searched the forum and the net for a while, but didn´t find any recipe)! You could substitute some amount of the water with apple juice of course...

So any ideas to how i should proside?

P.S. Im Finnish, so I don´t know any products by name what they are Also me having English as my third language i hope explains some messed up spelling that may or may not occur from time to time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

I have not made cider with real fruit yet, I usually just use store bought apple juice add some sugar to get the gravity up around 1.065 or so and then add some yeast. I like using the cider yeasts that are out there such as White labs or Wyeast, but each yeast has a different taste so I sugest you find one you like. Something I like or somthing someone else likes may not be to your tastes.

I suggest you check out CVILLEKEVIN's post at
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/resu...riments-83060/

he has some really awsome methods going on as well as some results from his experiments. Plus he gets his cider from a cider mill and documents the mix of apples that the cider came from.

Good luck and have fun!

Fermenting
Primary - none

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Old 01-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Get the apples and grind them into pieces, then place them into a nylon bag and use a press to squeeze out the juice. Use a hydrometer check the gravity, if it is high enough then pitch the yeast as the instructions say on the packet/tube. If it's not high enough for your liking, add sugar. There's no need to add water.

You can also go to an apple orchard that presses cider and get some from them.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Kousenshu
Recipes 

Dumb guestion, leave the nylonbag in the wort, and use the juce in the cider also? Or do i leave the bag out of the equation? : )

Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kousenshu View Post
Dumb guestion, leave the nylonbag in the wort, and use the juce in the cider also? Or do i leave the bag out of the equation? : )
There is no wort. You don't boil anything. You place the nylon bag inside the bucket to make sure that only juice comes out, and not pieces of apple. Here's an example of what I mean:

It's pretty simple. Just crush up the apples and press them until you get 5 gallons of juice, then put the yeast in (after it's been prepared according to the package). The hardest part is figuring out a way to crush the apples and press them.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This was my first year making hard cider. I did it exactly like Teromous said. I had a SG of 1.044, let it ferment all the way out with cider yeast. I did buy the malolactic enzymes to force the MLF fermentation. That's kind of spendy. I think next year I will do two batches of each type of cider, and do one with and one without those enzymes, just to see what the difference will be. Anyway, from what I have been reading, it's not necessary, if you let nature take its course, and not rush things to finish.
Once my cider finished, FG of .996, I racked into another carboy, and let it settle for a few weeks, then crash chilled, and racked into a keg, and force carbed it, and bottled it. It was pretty good right off the bat. I haven't tasted one in a few weeks, but I have the rest all in the storage cellar in the basement.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am also in the process of building my own fruit press. I litterally broke the one I bought from Cabelas, and had to return it. Of course I am over engineering it so I should be able to do an ice wine if I feel so inclined.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Kousenshu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
There is no wort. You don't boil anything. You place the nylon bag inside the bucket to make sure that only juice comes out, and not pieces of apple. Here's an example of what I mean:

[Ideleted image]

It's pretty simple. Just crush up the apples and press them until you get 5 gallons of juice, then put the yeast in (after it's been prepared according to the package). The hardest part is figuring out a way to crush the apples and press them.
Sounds easy enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo80 View Post
This was my first year making hard cider. I did it exactly like Teromous said. I had a SG of 1.044, let it ferment all the way out with cider yeast. I did buy the malolactic enzymes to force the MLF fermentation. That's kind of spendy. I think next year I will do two batches of each type of cider, and do one with and one without those enzymes, just to see what the difference will be. Anyway, from what I have been reading, it's not necessary, if you let nature take its course, and not rush things to finish.
Once my cider finished, FG of .996, I racked into another carboy, and let it settle for a few weeks, then crash chilled, and racked into a keg, and force carbed it, and bottled it. It was pretty good right off the bat. I haven't tasted one in a few weeks, but I have the rest all in the storage cellar in the basement.
Thanks for the tips! I had to look up about four or five terms to get everything, but i got it Love homebrewtalk wiki :P

Old 01-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

or....I've done a few ciders..where I ferment out..and then rack into a secondary on top of a select variety of apples that are peeled and sliced up thinly. I like grannysmiths, sweet 16's and braeburns for a good 3 apple mix...adds a nice body to the cider before bottling or kegging and nice full flavor too.

HTH
Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a long process but you can also use a household blender instead of a press, then strain through a muslin bag. Harder work though because of the size needed
Failing that you can always just buy chunky apple juice from the store - an organic one will basically be pressed juice as it is. But that's not much fun!

Quick Reply