The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider Ready?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
jthoward013
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider Ready?

hey guys i made cider last friday. only 2.5 gals but used enough yeast for 5 gals. the OG was 1.095 and ive checked for 2 days and its 1.010 so im getting around 11% alcohol and the yeast was spost to finish out around 12%. the cider is still cloudy a bit. tasted a bit out of my hydrometer jar and it tastes pretty good. is it finished or should i let it go for a while longer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I leave my ciders in primary for 2-3 weeks, then let them carb and condition for 2 months or more, and I typically make a cider at a much lower ABV, around 7%. Your higher ABV cider might be drinkable, but it is not going to really be fully conditioned for a good 2-3 months, honestly.

If you want to drink it young, it's your cider, but TRUST ME, it will be 100% better with 2-3 months of conditioning.

Are you botting or kegging?

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Never made a cider that strong, but my ciders always ferment down to < 1.000.
I've made beers and wines as strong as that, but they have all taken over a year to become good. Some of the wines have taken over 4 years before they were what I would consider drinkable.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Robms88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would leave it a bit longer. It is not uncommon for a fermentation to stop for a few days if the temperature, for instance, is not within the fermenting range of the yeast. You have only had it in primary for 1 week. It is perfectly OK to leave it in primary for up to 3 weeks. As you only have a gravity of 1.010, and not closer to 1.000, I would leave it.

If after another week it is still 1.010, and the temperature was constant and correct for the strain of yeast used, you should be OK to go.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have made cider on a couple occasions..... The one thing I have learned is to make really good cider takes more patients then beer. Like others have said ferment in primary for 3 weeks minimum, then bottle condition for at least a month. The best cider I ever made was nasty tasting after three weeks in primary but I decided to bottle it anyway and let it condition for 4 months and it was amazing! I know you are dying to get it bottled and carbed up but be patient an it will turn our awesome!

Quick Reply