Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider with Rapid Rise bread yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
MBM30075
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider with Rapid Rise bread yeast

So, I'm starting to screw around with some 1 gallon batches. I've currently got a rum going (1.185 OG) as well as a berry cider (rasp, black and blue). Yesterday, I was bored and had some free time, so I added a packet of the HIGHLY active bread yeast to a gallon of regular apple juice. I didn't take an OG, but the last time I used this brand of juice, the SG was 1.050, so I'm assuming that for my OG.

I left the house about 15 minutes after pitching and returned about 4 hours later. This puppy was ROCKING!!! 2+ bubbles a minute in a 3 piece airlock. I did this in a glass gallon jug and there were bubbles coming up EVERYWHERE! I left a little head space because I wasn't sure what kind of foam would occur and I filled that space today after seeing that there was little to no foam at all.

Anyway, this is still cloudy and in the must (?), I am seeing dozens of small CO2 bubbles per second. I mean, it's amazing how quickly this yeast appears to be eating the sugars!

I know this has been tried before, but I just wanted to share. I have had some fast ferments (blow offs with quick bubbles and what not), but this appears to be the fastest initial lag time coupled with an insane rate of fermentation.

So, how fast should this be through fermenting? Will bread yeast clean up after itself the same as ale yeast? If so, how long AFTER cease of fermentation should I leave the cider on its yeast cake?

Any comments on how you think this'll turn out?

Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
svengoat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Methinks it'll end poorly unless you let it condition along time... Bread yeast isn't the best choice to ferment with..But maybe off flavors might be hidden in a cider..

Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
MBM30075
Recipes 

I know, I know. I've heard a ton of people say it, but I've been dying to try SOMETHING that uses all grocery store ingredients. If it doesn't work, I haven't lost much. But if it DOES, well, how awesome is that?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
MBM30075
Recipes 

Out of curiosity, what is it about bread yeast that makes it NOT suitable for brewing? Does it produce undesirable alcohols (like fusels)? Is it just the flavor profile? Is it the alcohol tolerance? WHY does it not work as well?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is it about bread yeast that makes it NOT suitable for brewing? Does it produce undesirable alcohols (like fusels)? Is it just the flavor profile? Is it the alcohol tolerance? WHY does it not work as well?
I read somewhere it gives a bread/dough like taste to your brew.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For certain recipes, it works fine. Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM) specifically calls for bread yeast. Bread yeast has a low alcohol tolerance, so it finishes sweet most of the time. It can leave a yeasty taste, but that gets better with time. My first try at homebrewing was the typical Welch's frozen concentrate, some sugar, and bread yeast. It tasted a lot like Manischewitz, actually not bad if you like Manischewitz. Of course I could hardly wait to try it and the first few glasses were kind of like drinking grape drink while eating pizza dough. But the longer I waited the better it got. I still have one small bottle left and I'm going to give it a while.

I have two JAOM variations going right now, both with Red Star rapid rise yeast. The last one was bubbling the airlock less than 30 minutes after pitching. I'd say keep trying things and you might hit on a winner. To me there's a difference between just throwing junk in a jug to make hooch and genuinely experimenting to see if some unexpected combo might work. I don't know much of the history of Joe Mattoli's mead, but I'd imagine that the first time he tried it he didn't know exactly what to expect either.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
MBM30075
Recipes 

I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not using crap ingredients, or at least I'm not just picking up whatever I have around. I'm doing a planned, thought-out experiment to see for myself what apple juice and bread yeast produce. So far, it's at least really, really stinking entertaining!

I have a video of the fermentation, but can't see how to post it here. So, here's a link to my blog where it's posted:

West Roswell Brewing

Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've made a few batches of apfelwein/cider with various types of yeast. I enjoy the dry ones, but I really like just a touch of sweetness in mine. I just bottled one that I made with Cooper's beer yeast, and I think I'm going to like it. It's got just a hint of sweetness. I'll be interested in knowing how yours comes out. Your video looks similar to what I've seen in my jugs. What's surprising me with the JAOM is how long the fermentation has continued. I've got one that is still putting out several bubbles a minute after almost three weeks. My past experience with bread yeast has been that it roars along for a few days and then settles down to about two bubbles a minute for about 3 weeks or so. Must be all the honey, raisins, etc in the mead.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

It is a fact that bread yeast contains more bacteria than yeast. They can get away with it because bread will be baked.

Forrest

Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
MBM30075
Recipes 

@Forrest,

I googled that and couldn't find any information to support your statement. Do you have some? Is it kind of luck of the draw? I.e., do you sometimes luck out with less bacteria and sometimes get killed with more?

Is there any way to cultivate the yeast and not the bacteria?

Thanks!

Quick Reply