Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Swcoxe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider question

Hey I moved my batch of cider into my secondary and it is not clear at all... do I need to let it clear, or will it clear?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Tantalar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how exactly dd you move it? What recipe are you using? How long has it been in primary?

It shouldn't matter if it is not clear. Depending on what recipe you are using, it might never be clear. I have heard of things you can add including pectin which helps to bind everything that is floating around and then you can rack it off but I haven't used any yet.

Need to know more information to give you a better answer

Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Swcoxe
Recipes 

Ok when I embarked on making a cider I talked to the guys at the beer store and the gave me this recipe and directions: 5 gallons of cheap cider, 2 pounds of honey, yeast nutrient, and red star Premier Cuvee. Directions mix in fermenter, and let set for a week or until the air lock slow way down. Then move to a secondary and let sit for a week. Then prime and bottle.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
manticle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Why do people at homebrewing shops (some people and some homebrewing shops obviously) give such blatantly inadequate advice?

You could ferment cider for 2 weeks or 2 months. It needs to have finished fermenting before you bottle it otherwise the bottles can explode causing mess and shards of broken glass, possibly in your eye.

Did they say nothing about temperature or measuring gravity? Just bung it in for two weeks and she's done? The airlock may not even bubble at all.

My advice - when you are certain the brew is finished (measure with a hydrometer to get stable readings over 3 days that are in the region you would expect - probably 1000 or thereabouts) then put the whole fermenting vessel in the fridge for 24 hours. Dissolve a teaspoon of gelatin in some boiled water (a teacup) that's been allowed to cool a bit. Cover and let cool to below 50 degrees C, add to the brew (no need to stir) then put back in the fridge for at least a week. The cider will clear up if the haziness is due to yeast in suspension.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swcoxe View Post
Hey I moved my batch of cider into my secondary and it is not clear at all... do I need to let it clear, or will it clear?
Yes. As long as you didn't boil the juice, it'll clear on it's own in time, it'll be clear enough to read a newspaper through. Regards, GF.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Adding pectic enzyme a few hours before the yeast really helps to clear things.

Honestly, being clear doesn't affect the taste. It just looks prettier.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticle View Post
Why do people at homebrewing shops (some people and some homebrewing shops obviously) give such blatantly inadequate advice?
I was in my LHBS a few months ago buying a few supplies and a guy comes in that hasnt done any fermentation before. he wants to do a cider. The guy behind the counter just goes to town with liquid yeast, pectic enzyme, bentonite, acid blend, tannin, and all sorts of other crap you dont need to do a first batch with. You just need cider, yeast, fermenter, airlock, and hydrometer. Then experiment from there.

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
Swcoxe
Recipes 

Thanks everyone, any idea how I know if it is yeast in suspension? All I know is it is almost gold in color.... I thought since I put clear liquids in, the end result would be clear.... When I racked into my secondary the gravity reading was 1.012.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

at 1.012 it is not fully fermented out, which isnt a bad thing if you like sweeter ciders (like I do). Normally if left to finish, it would go down to .998 or lower unless it stalled.

The haze is mostly yeast. It does clear on its own, especially when cold crashed for an extended period. Time depends. I have some clear in 2 weeks, sometimes much longer. Personally I dont care if it clears because it is just as tasty with or without haze

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
Swcoxe
Recipes 

ok so if I I like it sweeter, can I crash it and still bottle carb it? Also if I can what is the proceedure?

Quick Reply