Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider problem (I think)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
vince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider problem (I think)

I'm trying to make my first batch of cider, and on Wednesday I added 5 campden tablets (crushed) to 5 gallons of freshly pressed juice. On Thursday I added 1.5kg of sugar and on Friday I added 1 sachet of cider yeast. Not much was happening but by yesterday there was bubbling/foam appearing on the surface of the juice. However, today, it's pretty much gone.

I let some out to test the gravity, and it hasn't changed from when I pitched the yeast. Have I blown it or is it just taking a while to get started?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't use camden (my lady is allergic to sulfites), but isn't that way too much? It is possible that the yeast just can't do anything with all that sulfur in there.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
vince
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivovar_Koucky View Post
I don't use camden (my lady is allergic to sulfites), but isn't that way too much? It is possible that the yeast just can't do anything with all that sulfur in there.
I thought it was 1 tablet per gallon?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't think there is anything wrong. I've had ciders that made a big krausen and ciders that sat there without moving a drop. They all fermented just fine.

It could be that your yeast is taking a day or two to reproduce before they start the party. If all else fails, you can repitch in a few days if it doesn't take off.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
I thought it was 1 tablet per gallon?
I looked it up, you are right. My bad.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually let it set for 48 hours before adding my yeast. Also I "wake up" the yeast by pouring some warm water in a bowl and mixing the dry yest into it. After it starts showing some life, I add a cup, or so, of the cider to the yeast and let it get a start on feeding. I usually take an hour or two for this step, then pitch the whole bowl into the cider. My current batch fermented from 1.065 to 1.002 in 5 days at room temp (70*F).

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
vince
Recipes 

Well after a couple of weeks, I think it's finished. The airlock isn't bubbling anymore (it was bubbling at 3-4 per minute for a while) and I've just tested the gravity and it's gone from 1060 at the beginning to 1036. This still seems quite high and whilst it tastes really nice, I was hoping for something with a bit more kick to it. Is there anything I can do, or is this normal?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Give it time. I just brewed my first as well and it appeared to be stuck at around 1.030 (after 1 week) so I left it another week and it is now at 1.010 and there was no airlock activity during that entire second week (but there were small carbonation bubbles the entire time).

Primary #1: Hoppy LAN Party DIPA (>100 IBUs)
Primary #2: Irish Red
Primary #3: Belgian Trappist Pumpkin Ale
Primary #4:
Secondary:
Bottle/Kegged: Belgium Dubbel Blonde, Centennial Honey Blonde, Throwdown Oatmeal Stout, Throwdown Milk Stout, Festabrew Czech Pilsner, Hard Sparking cider On Deck: Varroa's Wee Scottish Heavy, hard sparkling cider

Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
cbitter
Recipes 

Have you added any yeast nutrient? Cider is nutrient deficient for yeasts... your microbes might need a little help metabolizing the remaining sugars.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
vince
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
Give it time. I just brewed my first as well and it appeared to be stuck at around 1.030 (after 1 week) so I left it another week and it is now at 1.010 and there was no airlock activity during that entire second week (but there were small carbonation bubbles the entire time).
I think you might be right - I checked again yesterday and the SG has dropped to somewhere between 1020 and 1030. I'll leave it another week and check it again then.

Quick Reply