Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider or poison, I brew, you decide!
View Poll Results: Am I brewing Cider or Poison?
Cider! 21 80.77%
Poison! 2 7.69%
Vinegar! 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
passive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider or poison, I brew, you decide!

About 4 months ago, I poured 23 litres of apple juice into a bucket, added some yeast (it was a wine yeast, I forget which one), and put the lid on. My mother-in-law works at a juice processing plant, so we get free juice, but it's a very mild-flavoured commercial variety.

6 weeks later, I siphoned it into a different bucket in preparation for bottling, from which I siphoned two growlers full (about 4 liters). I was not very happy with the taste, which was mostly just unsweetened and mildly alcoholic apple juice.

So I put the lid back on that bucket.

We receive a weekly vegetable delivery from a local farm, which at times includes unpasteurized apple juice, which I find to be delicious (but pricey if I buy in quantity).

In the past two months, I have added about 5 litres of this unpasteurized juice to my bucket. A couple of the juice containers had begun to swell due to fermentation.

So, I'm welcoming votes and opinions on the topic of what this will have become when I decide to drink it again. Cider, or poison?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No whammy no whammy no whammy no whammy!!!!

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What? Why would you think it's poison? Nothing pathogenic can grow in fermented beverages, that's why beers and ciders were consumed in the past when water and even milk could make you sick.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Bucket began to swell , no airlock?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2142 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

My vote:

Cider or Vinegar

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Gop
Recipes 

Instead of adding more juice, add a kilo of brown sugar to the original 23l vat. Super alcohol, and after, sweeten with some jice, splenda etc.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 2111

Many apples (if not most or all) have naturally occurring yeast living on them. For centuries, this was the only yeast used to make cider. If you have a spontaneous fermentation of unpasteurized apple juice going on, I'd try to encourage it by adding a little yeast nutrient/energizer and maybe a little added sugar. I've never done a "wild fermentation" before, but I've heard some good things about the results. You might find this useful too:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/resu...riments-83060/
Regards, GF.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
passive
Recipes 

No votes for poison? Apparently my wife doesn't have an account

I was pretty sure nothing significantly bad could happen, but my wife is convinced otherwise, so I thought taking a poll would be a good way to gather some information.

Thanks everybody, I'll give it a few more weeks (need to free up some bottles) and let you know.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Many apples (if not most or all) have naturally occurring yeast living on them. For centuries, this was the only yeast used to make cider. If you have a spontaneous fermentation of unpasteurized apple juice going on, I'd try to encourage it by adding a little yeast nutrient/energizer and maybe a little added sugar. I've never done a "wild fermentation" before, but I've heard some good things about the results.
I do wild fermentations frequently, but only in gallon sizes. Never had one I didn't like. Caveat being I didn't let them ferment dry before they were gone.

All I do is take some of my fall's fresh pressed cider (1 gallon frozen jug) and thaw it and put in the fridge. I slightly squeeze the jug so it has a depression and watch it over several weeks/months. Eventually, it takes off and ferments with the wild yeast it in. I loosen the cap and vent periodically and drink it. It tastes like it is carbonated, has low alcohol and very tasty full fruit flavor. Basically I am drinking a live fermentation. Hello yeasty nutrients!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i have been making one or two 5L wild yeast batches each autumn for the past few years, i treat it the same as my other dry ciders, ferment all the way, bulk age, bottle condition, dry tart and fizzy. they have so far always come out great, tangy and always different. never had any noticeable acetic acid. but they haven't aged well past about 1 year, the dropoff in quality was sharp from 12 to 15 months. but i have only had 2 of these wild ciders that i have managed to keep that long so the sample size is small. but they both started to get a bit cooked vegetabley tasting. that's with zero sulfite additions. i have lost the plot, is this on topic or am i rambling

oh yeah- no chance of poison. and no oxygen = no vinegar.

Quick Reply