Cider not fermenting two weeks in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sushidave

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I juiced apples from my tree and collected 1.8 gallons in a 5 gallon brewing bucket.

I sterilised the juice with sodium metapbisulphate (2 crushed campden tablets), put the lid on and left it for 48 hours. The SG was 1.050 at that point.

I then added a yeast starter made with a packet of Young’s cider yeast. I fitted an airlock & bung to the bucket lid. Two days later patches of foam formed on the surface of the juice, it smelled ‘brewy’ but I saw no bubbles through the airlock.

Six days later there was still no bubbling. SG was 1.026, which I took to mean that sugar had reduced. I added another yeast starter (in water 40C/104F).

Five days after that I still have no bubbles through the airlock and the SG has now fallen to 1.003. Temperature has been fairly constant at 17C/62F – 19C/65F.

Can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong here? Can my brew be saved? Could it be due to pressure not building up in the large amount of headspace in the bucket? Or have I killed the yeast with the Campden tablets? Thanks for any wise words.

Leaky lid?

As long as the SG drop took place fermentation is underway. Airlock activity is not a measure of fermentation. Gravity is. Should be fine.

That's reassuring to this newbie, thanks! I've moved the bucket to a slightly warmer place encourage the fermentation too.

Back