Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > cider has a heavy mouth feel?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
mmmcider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cider has a heavy mouth feel?!?

hello all, first time poster. i have been hovering on this site for a few weeks now and have learned a lot already. i love reading about the endless creative experiments that some of you come up with, definitely a creative bunch .
i have made a strawberry cider that turned out absolutely wonderful (flavor wise), but it feels very heavy in the mouth, almost syrupy, not that thick but still heavy. how would i go about making it lighter? i don't know if i am making sense or not but that is the only way i can think to explain it, i don't really have the vocabulary to put it any other way (public education)
here is how i did it
1 gal apple juice
6 oz molasses
6 oz honey
1 cup brown sugar
2 cans apple juice concentrate
1/3 pkg cuvee yeast
15 raisons

rack to secondary on top of
20 fresh strawberries
32 oz pure blueberry juice

og: 1.095 racked at 1.015 bottled at 1.015.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4932 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcider View Post
hello all, first time poster. i have been hovering on this site for a few weeks now and have learned a lot already. i love reading about the endless creative experiments that some of you come up with, definitely a creative bunch .
i have made a strawberry cider that turned out absolutely wonderful (flavor wise), but it feels very heavy in the mouth, almost syrupy, not that thick but still heavy. how would i go about making it lighter? i don't know if i am making sense or not but that is the only way i can think to explain it, i don't really have the vocabulary to put it any other way (public education)
here is how i did it
1 gal apple juice
6 oz molasses
6 oz honey
1 cup brown sugar
2 cans apple juice concentrate
1/3 pkg cuvee yeast
15 raisons

rack to secondary on top of
20 fresh strawberries
32 oz pure blueberry juice

og: 1.095 racked at 1.015 bottled at 1.015.
If you used cuvee yeast, and it only dropped 80 points, it doesn't sound finished. Watch for bottle bombs because that should go to .990.

It may feel "thick" because that's alot of stuff in there. Between the juices, the raisins, the fruits, etc, that looks very full and thick.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
mmmcider
Recipes 

i did pasteurize it, using the stove top method. and i do keep it refrigerated at about 36-38 deg. so (knock on wood) i should be bomb free. which actually brings up another question, is it better to age at room temp or is the fridge ok?

Quick Reply