The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > cider with fresh berries?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
amandley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cider with fresh berries?

Hello,
I am planning on making cider for the first time. I am going with a simple recipe of 5 gallons of apple juice ( pasteurized, no additives or preservatives) 1/2 cup of brown sugar per gal.

My question is first, does it matter if the juice is " from concentrate"
2) I have read that I can add approximately 12 oz of berries per gallon. My neighbor has a massive raspberry crop and has kindly offered them for free ( well for a bottle but that suits me fine) Can I just puree them and add or do I need to puree then pasteurize?
If so should I just add a bit of water and heat or do it in the already pasteurized juice?
Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would puree, add a crushed and dissolved camden tablet, wait 24 hours and pitch to cider. I wouldn't heat and pasteurize. 12 oz seems light, I normally use at least a lb / gallon

l

Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
amandley
Recipes 

Excellent. Thanks. Is that 1 campen per pound or for the whole batch?

Quick Reply