Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider First taste.... not bad (white wine flavor)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
swarfrat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider First taste.... not bad (white wine flavor)

Ok - tomorrow is another trip to the homebrew store for an autosiphon. Tried to be delicate but just made a mess. If it doesn't get infected it will be because of the yeasts and not from my fault. (Not expecting it to... just that I did about everything wrong I could've).

Anyway - this is 3 qts Wal-Mart apple juice (no preservatives), LC1118, and a cup of brown sugar. 1.5 weeks. And .... not bad. Flavor is basically white wine. In fact, to my palate it would pass for a commercial (grape) white wine... it's a shame I don't like white wine! By the end of the glass though I was thinking this is definitely better than the hootch I was kind of expecting.

I've read the apple comes back with aging. But.. what about yeast selection and this WW Flavor? What makes it taste this way? Lack of Skins? Yeast? Waffling between trying Apfelwein and Graff next.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Oaky
Recipes 

For starters, I'd avoid the Wal mart stuff. try to find real apple juice when its in season (soon!) if you can't find that - get some pure apple juice not from concentrate and try to find more than one type if you can. Around here i get some nice 1/2 gallon ones - 100% juice not from concentrate for $1.50. can't beat it. I can get em all year.

The yeast is critical to the flavor is what i found. i used champagne yeast which was great. my attempts with Nottingham and other yeasts just didn't taset as good.

from there its a question of what you want to make - i tend prefer more carbonation (hence the champagne yeast) - I bottle carbonate a lot. I also often add fruits in secondary fermentation. most importantly, i think that adding sugars or honey in secondary can really improve flavor. Cysers are much more interesting than base cider.

So - its a question of what you like. My suggestion - bump up the sugar ratio (and alcohol), carbonate in bottle, add cherry syrup to concentrate, if you can add honey in secondary...

and lastly, and perhaps most importantly. let the stuff sit... for a good while. it does get way better with age and flavors round out and return.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:38 AM   #3
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfrat View Post
Ok - tomorrow is another trip to the homebrew store for an autosiphon. Tried to be delicate but just made a mess. If it doesn't get infected it will be because of the yeasts and not from my fault. (Not expecting it to... just that I did about everything wrong I could've).

Anyway - this is 3 qts Wal-Mart apple juice (no preservatives), LC1118, and a cup of brown sugar. 1.5 weeks. And .... not bad. Flavor is basically white wine. In fact, to my palate it would pass for a commercial (grape) white wine... it's a shame I don't like white wine! By the end of the glass though I was thinking this is definitely better than the hootch I was kind of expecting.

I've read the apple comes back with aging. But.. what about yeast selection and this WW Flavor? What makes it taste this way? Lack of Skins? Yeast? Waffling between trying Apfelwein and Graff next.
Yep, that's what simple juice, sugar and yeast is. white wine hoochiness, unless of course you feel like waiting a year.

If you really want a cider that is good after only a couple weeks in the bottle, you need to make GRAFF. Graff is what you would think cider should taste like IMO.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
jevchance
Recipes 

Methinks even after aging, you're not going to get much apple flavor back. That apple juice is mostly sugar and water, you need more fruit juice.

Also going with a champagne yeast is a great suggestion.

If you're looking for a quick fruity hooch, you can do exactly what you did but add an extract flavoring at the end before bottling. However, if you want real hard cider you're going to have to seek out a different juice.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
Methinks even after aging, you're not going to get much apple flavor back. That apple juice is mostly sugar and water, you need more fruit juice.

Also going with a champagne yeast is a great suggestion.

If you're looking for a quick fruity hooch, you can do exactly what you did but add an extract flavoring at the end before bottling. However, if you want real hard cider you're going to have to seek out a different juice.
Champagne yeast will strip the apple juice of quite a bit of apple flavor. Go with a beer yeast like notty and it will be much gentler on the juice.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
swarfrat
Recipes 

Sparge? whats this? I'm not set up for making beer. Graff will have to wait until I can spend money on equipment I guess.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It won't be Brandon's recipe, but you can brew a mighty tasty beverage with malt extract and apple juice. I used Munton's extra light DME and it was awesome. I was practically crying by the last bottle because I didn't have any more in the pipeline.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
bfbf
Recipes 

Why not try cider yeast or beer yeast then it will be more like cider or beer... rather than white wine.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Oaky
Recipes 

Default malty apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobbs View Post
It won't be Brandon's recipe, but you can brew a mighty tasty beverage with malt extract and apple juice. I used Munton's extra light DME and it was awesome. I was practically crying by the last bottle because I didn't have any more in the pipeline.

oooh more detail on that concoction and what do we call it?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #10
jevchance
Recipes 

Brandon's recipe is here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graf...-cider-117117/

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Quick Reply