Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider finishing gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
ericj551
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Cider finishing gravity

I started a cider about two weeks ago. It started at 1.063 and now sits around 1.012. Fermentation went like crazy, but now appears to be done. I tasted it and I'm really happy with the flavor so far, but I'm worried about it continuing to attenuate if I rack and bottle from here. In my limited experience, my cider has always fermented down close to or below 1.000. I pitched a couple packets of US-05 and added yeast nutrient as well.

Should I repitch, maybe a champagne yeast, or take another reading in a week and see if it's moved at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Soilworker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You can always just pasteurize your bottles to kill the yeast and stop and further fermentation. I'm actually going to be bottling a cider this weekend that is still actively fermented and its around 1.030 and I'll be pastuerizing once the carbonation is where I'd like it. There is a sticky under Cider Forum about how to do stove top pasteurization. Here's the link: Easy Stove Top Pasteurizing with Pics

Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4925 Times on 3571 Posts
Likes Given: 992

I would expect that it would continue to ferment, especially if it's only two weeks old and at 1.012. I'd let it sit until the SG was definitely NOT moving and the cider was clear. Two weeks is too young to call this finished.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
ericj551
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks guys. I probably am not going to pasteurize, I think I'd rather have the cider dry out. I am hydrating another packet of US-05, gonna throw that in and see if I can jump start it. I'll let it sit another 2 weeks. Also, as far as pectic enzyme goes, I've heard conflicting things. Can I still add it post fermentation (or during)? This cider was UV pasteurized, so I'm not even certain I need it, but I won't mind being sure.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4925 Times on 3571 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj551 View Post
Thanks guys. I probably am not going to pasteurize, I think I'd rather have the cider dry out. I am hydrating another packet of US-05, gonna throw that in and see if I can jump start it. I'll let it sit another 2 weeks. Also, as far as pectic enzyme goes, I've heard conflicting things. Can I still add it post fermentation (or during)? This cider was UV pasteurized, so I'm not even certain I need it, but I won't mind being sure.

Pectic enzyme can be added post fermentation if you want to use it to help clear the cider.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply