Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider is fermenting, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I don't mean to sound alarmist, but white spots with a seemingly re-invigorated fermentation describe the symptoms of a bacterial infection fairly well.

A more detailed description (including smell/taste) and/or pictures will help rule out the worst case scenario.
You are probably right here and I was worried about it all along. My kitchen has a leaky sink that has wet wood underneath. I have tried to keep it removed from the area but it has probably infected it. I will take some photos and should I open, smell and try it?

Now I am worried about the nut brown ale I am also fermenting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
Photopilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have not opened it up to smell it, I just dont want to face the truth yet, but am sure it is a bacteria. When i saw the first spot, my first thought was mold in my fermenter. At that time the glass in the carboy was clean.

Now the glass is fogged with something, my guess is mold and there are a few spots still floating in it. I am really disappointed as i was looking forward to drinking this when I got back from a multi week training I am about to leave for.

I am pretty sure there is some mold in my kitchen but I tried to minimize exposure possibilities to the cider. My other thought was I used a wine thief to sample and take a hydrometer reading. The hydrometer came from an BTF based soak, but the BTF solution had been setting around a while. I have since read that BTF solution goes inert quickly, so I was probably using a contaminated thief. At least that is my hope as there still may be a chance for my Ale that is fermenting.

Attached is a photo of the carboy. I will smell it later when i can steal up my courage for a big disappointment.

crw_9581.jpg  

Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 63

It's hard to tell from the picture...but it doesn't seem promising.

Definitely smell and taste it.

Quick Reply