Cider Fermenting???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last Sunday I made my first cider but after a week there have been no visible signs of fermentation. When I make beer I can usually see the yeast flying around the fermenter but wuth the cider there is nothing. Is this normal with ciders or should I repitch. The yeast I used was Lavlin EC-1118

Thanks

Do you have hydrometer readings? That's the only surefire way to know whether or not you need to mess with it or not.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I have not taken a gravity reading yet. The OG was 1.078. I will take a gravity reading to see if it is going down! If not I guess I'll repitch.

Thanks.

Well I just took a gravity reading and it hasn't budged one bit.:mad: Like I said earlier I pitched Lavlin EC 1118 but I don't have another packet of it available. I do however have US-05.....shuold I pitch that instead?

Thanks

Before you repitch, double check the ingredients of the cider or juice you used. I wonder if it has sorbate or benzoate in it. That would halt fermentation before it begins.

I used a pasteurized apple cider. I kept one of the jugs to use with a blow off tube but I ripped the label off it:eek: so I dont know what else it had in it. If it did have sodium benzoate in the apple cider does that mean it will not ferment at all and I should dump the batch?

I used a pasteurized apple cider. I kept one of the jugs to use with a blow off tube but I ripped the label off it:eek: so I dont know what else it had in it. If it did have sodium benzoate in the apple cider does that mean it will not ferment at all and I should dump the batch?

Yes, unfortunately, although I've read of some that have been able to make a HUGE yeast starter and overcome some preservatives (but maybe it was sorbate?).

Preservatives are often used to prevent ciders fermenting in the store and at the farm. That's good for people who drink the cider like that, but not for those who want to ferment it!

Back