Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider fermented out ridiculously fast, what now!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
markowe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Cider fermented out ridiculously fast, what now!?

OK, so I wanted to juice my own apples up and brew up some of the real stuff, but I don't have a press so I had to use a juicer (extracts about 50% juice by weight of apples, pretty bad, but then I do some manual squeezing to get as high as 65-70%).

Thing is, it's so laborious that I have done it in batches - 2 litres about 5 days ago, pitched yeast (bayanus cider yeast, nothing else added). Another 2 litres added to the primary 2 days later. Fermentation seemed to have slowed in the meantime, but seemed to resume OK when I added the second batch of juice. All for practical reasons, though I had read somewhere that adding in stages like that MIGHT improve flavour too.

I was ready to add another batch today and I see there's no activity - I put in the hydrometer and it's down to less than 1.000 already (from OG 1052)?! Can't even quite measure it due to lack of depth, but it tastes a little sparkly but has basically fermented almost completely dry, probably in 995 territory.

Is that possible? The store-bought pasteurized juice I have brewed before took, I kid you not, a good month to ferment out (though using S04), so I reckoned I had plenty of time to add my juice in stages.

So what now? Add the next 2-4-6 litres, whatever, and hope fermentation restarts. Repitch if it doesn't? Make another batch separately and mix them later in the secondary?

Experts, help appreciated!

P.S. I am happy with the dryness as I grew up with British-type dry cider, just wondering how to continue adding to the batch!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

At 2 liters every couple days, the yeast are keeping up with the sugar. Just keep adding more juice. Stir a bit each time and the yeast will do their trick.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
markowe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
At 2 liters every couple days, the yeast are keeping up with the sugar. Just keep adding more juice. Stir a bit each time and the yeast will do their trick.
Thanks - you think they ought to wake up again? It would be OK to stick some more yeast in if things get stuck, right?

I am just still amazed at how quickly it was done as compared to the shop pasteurized stuff. I know it's a small quantity, but so was this one..!

Quick Reply