Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider FAQ's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
pulykamell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwin99 View Post
I have read that people use citric acid and others have used tannin? what are the pro's and cons of these? is one generally better than the other - when adding "tart" to the brew?
Citric acid and tannin are two completely different flavors. The first is sour, basically what you taste on the dusting of a Super Sour Tearjerker, if you remember those candies. The second is astringent/bitter. If you know that back-of-the-tongue dryness/bitterness black tea or red wine has, that's tannin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #22
wreckinball9
Recipes 

tear jerkers and cry babies were awesome.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #23
gwin99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
I would be more concerned with whether or not it is finished fermenting. If you did manage to stun the yeast, you should try to restart fermentation. Perhaps with a racking and repitching new yeast.
It hasnt had any noticable activity in the airlock in the last few days - which is fine here. I know time really isnt a true measure of fermentaion, but its been about 7weeks since initial pitch. Plus my goal was something without a lot of heat/punch behind it. Combined with the fact that its just about cleared, I'm all for sticking a fork in it at this point - only to now address its sweetness...

Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #24
gwin99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Citric acid and tannin are two completely different flavors. The first is sour, basically what you taste on the dusting of a Super Sour Tearjerker, if you remember those candies. The second is astringent/bitter. If you know that back-of-the-tongue dryness/bitterness black tea or red wine has, that's tannin.
I gather that these are used to taste but, are they used together or separately? And would Tannin be the best way to go when trying to make a brew less sweet - or maybe some water?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #25
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Adding water will cut the sweetness, it will also cut the alcohol and the flavor.

My concern with bottling a stuck ferment is that you could reawaken the yeast. If the yeast are currently dormant but there is still plenty of sugars left for them, then if you bottle or even just rack it, that agitation could be enough to kick the yeast back into action. If this was caused by you bottling, then you have a risk for bottle bombs.

It is never smart to bottled a brew that still has sugar left in it, unless you have stabilized, killed or removed the yeast and are sure they will not awaken again.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #26
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
BrewinJack - Not a knock, but please.

Break up your post with more paragraphs. I am just having a hard time processing what your writing.

Maybe I'm just suffering from getting old, but...

Once again, I actually like reading what your writing, it just kind of hard to read through it. Thank you for sharing.
I got you Kauai i tend to get lost in the momment and forget to divide up what im writing. I will try in the future

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 02-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #27
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
For a new brewer - affectionately called noobs, back sweetening with a none ferment able sugar substitute is the best answer.
You have converted all the sugar in the cider/juice to alcohol, and it can get pretty dry tasting. All your doing is adjusting the taste to your liking.
Crash cooling, chemicals, etc are other options down the line but just starting out. Keep it as simple as you can so you enjoy making it, and you enjoy drinking it. There is ton's of time and more brews to get complicated on.
By the way, welcome to homebrewing.
So you're saying probably Splenda here. Is that really considered acceptable? I would think it would impart a fairly artificial flavor in most people's opinions.
I am just asking though; i could be wrong.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #28
loosey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinJack View Post
..... Before the brew warms above 40 degrees you will need to put in an ammount of Camp Tabs and K-Sorb or other anit-yeast chems. try and keep the tempature down for the nest 6-12 hours so the chemicals can do thier work and knock any remaining yeast out. .
Hey jack, im curious when you say 'an amount of camp and k-sorb' how much are we talking? for the orginal 5 gallon batch i put 5 camp tabs in to kill any wild yeast, but now that ive cold crashed and am looking to just get this set up to backsweeten, how much of each do i really need? im afriad to use too much and affect the flavor but certainly dont want fermentation to start again either...

Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
HarmonKillABrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

About BrewinJack's "Simple Cider Recipe":

This is great. I plan to use it tomorrow, in conjunction with an ingredient list in another book, to guide the brewing of my first cider (a Traditional, sparkling one). My only question is (now that I've figured out that boiling the clear cider is a no-no): when do I add the yeast nutrient? At the same time I pitch the Nottingham into the cider in the primary fermenter?

Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #30
HarmonKillABrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm guessing my question is so stupid that it doesn't deserve an answer! Guess I'll just pitch it along with the yeast...

Cheers!

Quick Reply