Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider - Cover Primary with Plastic Wrap or Airlock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
drudini11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cider - Cover Primary with Plastic Wrap or Airlock?

I started a 5 gallon batch of cider last night fermenting in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. The recipe that I followed had you simply cover the carboy with plastic wrap for the first few days of fermentation (until it get's down to about 1.020) and then they have you transfer to secondary (in my case will be 5 gallon glass carboy) and then put the airlock on. There have been quite a few different recipes that I've looked at and many follow similar steps.......question is what not use airlock for primary as well? My guess is that because they ask you to periodically stir the carboy maybe the airlock would just be more cumbersome but not sure if there is a different reasoning.......hoping someone could enlighten me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1103 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 2207

I can't think of a reason not to use an airlock, unless it's concern of blowoff which has never happened to me with cider. I've used plastic wrap or aluminum foil temporarily, but an airlock seems a better choice.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply